Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless AAC (Read 4982 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless AAC

First time posting, long time reader.

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there was any way to encode a lossless AAC (MPEG-4 SLS), I've searched for encoders but no luck.

I need to achieve three things, 1) Highest quality possible (space not really an issue), 2) MP3/AAC-like compatibility (files will be played in hardware that handles AAC at most, such as car stereo/TV/receiver, etc.) and 3) one file per song (no AAC+FLAC).

Most of my files are AAC@512, virtually transparent, identical to source (at least to my ears), but at such high bitrates I would rather go lossless.

I have decent audio equipment (home, car, headphones) so that's why quality and compaatibility are equally important. If there is no practical way to encode to MPEG-4 SLS/HD-AAC, what would you recommend?

Thanks!
GusNV

Re: Lossless AAC

Reply #1
Are you certain your player will play AAC SLS, it is not a popular format? Apple Lossless is the defacto standard for m4a.

Reply #2
I understand there is some kind of backwards compatibility, but I'm not sure if current hardware (car radio) will play the lossless or the lossy layer (or neither). Basically I just need the AAC encoding for compatibility purposes.

Edit: Some of my devices don't work with Apple lossless.
GusNV

Reply #3
I understand there is some kind of backwards compatibility, but I'm not sure if current hardware (car radio) will play the lossless or the lossy layer (or neither).

Definitely not both, and probably neither.  AAC-SLS is a dead format, nothing will support it. 

Reply #4
Then I guess I'll stick with AAC@512 until FLAC gets widely supported.

Thanks guys!
GusNV