Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where to download FDK AAC for foobar2k/windows? (Read 62696 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to download FDK AAC for foobar2k/windows?

I'm trying to fit music into an old phone with low space, and it seems that HE-AACv2 and Opus are the best candidates.
I'm new to encoding aac, so I searched a lot and didn't find the fdk aac encoder for windows, just a lot of source code for android.
Also, I know there are other aac encoders like nero and apple but I want to stick to something free/open source.

Re: Where to download FDK AAC for foobar2k/windows?

Reply #1
http://wlc.io/2015/06/20/fdk-aac/ <--- here's one.

Just google for "fdk aac windows build" or something.

I notice the lack of compiled tools, though. However this might be some sort of licensing issue.

Reply #2
I believe the licensing issue is that the license on the source code does not protect anyone from patent licensing issues on the codec.

Reply #3
Couldn't you make a "totally not an AAC encoder" type thing similar to LAME?

Reply #4
LAME developers do not distribute binaries either. For approximately the same reasons.
But I've heard it's not too hard to build.
it seems that HE-AACv2 and Opus are the best candidates
If I were you, I'd just use Opus.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #5
LAME developers do not distribute binaries either. For approximately the same reasons.
No, but there were plenty of builds around and they were relatively easy to get. Also, since MP3 patents have expired, the binaries are now considered free. Fedora has them in their main repos now, etc.

That aside: AAC (with the HE-AACv2 profile) encoding should be possible with Winamp. According to http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Fraunhofer FhG AAC is included in Winamp.

Believe it or not, you can still download Winamp from winamp.com, even though the page says "there's more coming soon", that page has been in that state for at least four years.

Since the FDK AAC is released as source from Fraunhofer, is it nonetheless prohibited to release builds? Technically all FDK AAC encoders that you download on your Android phone are compiled binaries. As I understand it, having FDK AAC builds for Windows etc, shouldn't be a problem. Or is Android paying some sort of license fee to Fraunhofer, so they can put FDK AAC encoder binaries onto people's phones?

Reply #7
https://github.com/nu774/fdkaac_autobuild/
simply follow the guides with internet connection on.

As is written in the README, it doesn't work until MSYS updates it's OpenSSL library.
Maybe it should be rewritten to use MSYS2, but honestly I'm not interested in maintaining fdkaac_autobuild.

You can still build fdkaac yourself:
https://github.com/nu774/fdkaac/blob/master/INSTALL

Reply #8
MSYS2 has an even better issue, last time I checked. It apparently uses the wrong subsystem type, or at least has some other issue, causing its console binaries to only emit output under MSYS2 shells.

Reply #9
The fdkaac_autobuild suite will need an overhaul as the fdk-aac library now updated its API and renamed several struct fields (e.g. encoderDelay is now nDelay).

The discussion about the merge patch contains a link to a patch for libav which you might find useful.

I noticed that while running the media-autobuild suite, which took some inspiration from the fdkaac_autobuild batch.

Reply #10
Updated fdkaac repo.
As for fdkaac_autobuild, just let it die.

Reply #11
It feels home in MABS now.

Reply #12
Also, I know there are other aac encoders like nero and apple but I want to stick to something free/open source.

In that case, I would use Opus since it's the best lossy encoder right now especially at lower bit rates.

I suggest no lower than 64kbps for your old phone if you don't want to gamble on sound quality too much or you got plenty of music you want to fit on it and don't mind sacrificing some sound quality to do it you can go lower to say 32kbps or 48kbps. you can stick with v1.2.1 (currently included in the Foobar2000's Encoders Pack) or use the v1.3RC (see Opus section of these forums for download info) as it supposedly has a bit better sound quality than v1.2.1 at low bit rates.

p.s. if you go with AAC it's best to use Apple AAC (or the FhG one from WinAMP as a alternative) with Foobar2000's QAAC which is included in the Foobar2000 Encoders Pack for best sound quality. once the Encoders Pack is installed, to make it easy for you... just extract the following file to your 'Foobar2000\Encoders' folder and then you can create Apple AAC files... http://www.mediafire.com/file/kfq40f76vym2680/Foobar2000_-_Apple_AAC_Encoding_%2528iTunes_v12.7.4_Mar29th2018_-_extract_to_foobar2000-encoders%2529.7z/file
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.

Reply #13
@ThaCrip, can't share that file/files here, why do you think no one ever linked it?

@nu774, the autobuild doesn't work for me. I had to manually download mingw then run and that's all good but when I run the other two .bats it doesn't create anything. When you have 5 mins if you could double check. Thank you.

Reply #14
@eahm

I would remove the link myself, but I can no longer edit my post.

but I am surprised it's a big deal as no one is making any $ off of it or doing anything shady with it. would Apple care that much to pursue legal action on this site over it?
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.

Reply #15
We just don't link proprietary libraries etc., Apple would like you to download and install iTunes to have that.

Reply #16
I can compile current master with MinGW but not with MSVC 2015. Can anyone help or assist me for that? Thanks

Reply #17
The problem was from my Visual Studio installation actually. Sorry. :)

Reply #18
Please delete wtf forum, redirect to another thread after logging in.

Reply #19
Hi

A have the similar issue.
Based on wiki by hydrogenaudio: What's the best AAC encoder? information I wanted to use the 2nd most recommended AAC(FDK) encoder.
I use foobar2000 (v1.4.3) with Free_Encoder_Pack_2018-10-19.

The foobar2000's link directs me to Cabinet site.
I downloaded the "fdkaac_autobuild.zip" file to create "fdkaac.exe".
However executing install-mingw.bat does not create it.
What am I doing wrong?
How can I get a most recent "fdkaac.exe"?

Regards
szabi

Reply #20
Surprise ... install-mingw.bat installs MinGW. Only. If you want to build fdkaac, why not run build_fdkaac.bat after installing MinGW?

P.S.: This script is not updated anymore; but the media-autobuild_suite can do it as well (besides building a lot more codecs, and finally ffmpeg using them all).

Reply #21
There are 3 steps instruction to get fdkaac.exe
1) Execute install-mingw.bat.
   MinGW and MSYS are installed under current directory.
   Sub directories such as bin, include, lib,... are created.
2) Execute build_libfdk_aac.bat.
3) Execute build_fdkaac.bat.
When the 1st step fails the other steps does not do anything.

Now this media-autobuild_suite runs.
I just wanted fdkaac.exe however there were near 50 another question which most of them I did not know what it is.
It was written ffmpeg is more recommended to create aac audio than fdkaac.
Does it mean wiki by hydrogenaudio: What's the best AAC encoder is not correct?
It says ffmpeg is the last in quality.

This media-autobuild runs since15 minutes.
It is the most overcomplicated process ever seen to get one single "fdkaac.exe" file.
Is that ok?
Fraunhofer FDK AAC and CLI QuickTime AAC/ALAC encoder both available just an exe file would be needed.

Reply #23
More than one hour running for nothing.
It did not create fdkaac.exe file.
Are there any way to create aac audio by apple or fraunhofer aac?