Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: qaac.exe vs. iTunes Plus AAC Preset Encoding (Read 9070 times) previous topic - next topic

qaac.exe vs. iTunes Plus AAC Preset Encoding

Hello,

I currently encode and backup my music files to FLAC.

I then convert those files to ALAC and drop them into iTunes.  I then use iTunes to convert the files to AAC using the iTunes Plus preset for my iPod.

Would converting the FLAC files directly to AAC TVBR with a quality at around 256 using the qaac.exe extension create almost identical files?  It would save me a few steps and some time in the conversion process.

I did a test and tried to ABX 2 different tracks (electronic music with some crazy sounds) and I got 5/10 and 6/10... So, not very convincing. 

While conducting the test, I could tell a small difference between the two tracks when flipping back and forth, but I couldn't replicate it from track to track...

Has anyone else tested this or have any experience?
JXL

Re: qaac.exe vs. iTunes Plus AAC Preset Encoding

Reply #2
While conducting the test, I could tell a small difference between the two tracks when flipping back and forth, but I couldn't replicate it from track to track...

The small difference could come from the use of smart padding. Qaac enables smart padding as a default setting. If you want you can disable smart padding with the --no-smart-padding option. This should achieve bit-identical result as iTunes (quotet from the qaac encoder configuration page)

Reply #3
Thank you for replying.  I will try it with the --no-smart-padding option later tonight. :)
JXL

Reply #4
Ran some tests last night and have to say that I now am in love with qaac.exe.

I tested a bunch of tracks and am going to leave the smart padding option enabled.  It fixed the playback on a few discs that my iPod would get stuck when transitioning from one track to the next of a gapless album.  It's one of those 50 track DJ mix albums with lots of short/edited tracks with fast transitions.  It works like a charm now though. :)
JXL