Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools: Error, path is not of a legal form? (Read 6927 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools: Error, path is not of a legal form?

I updated to Windows 10 and ever since CUEtools has given me the error msg Path is not of a legal form. What's this? Why's this?

Reply #1
Your details are a bit vague.

Note: I haven't been able to upgrade to Windows 10 yet (getting update failure) so I haven't been able to test CUETools on it but for someone else to help you I'd think they'd need more information than you're offering.
korth

Reply #2
Win 10 pro works nicely with CUEtools 2.16 here.
OT: good old frontah crashes at replaygain, 88.2kHz as card defaukt is distorted with th X-Fi and font smoothing is ugly without changing fonts.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #3
@korth: you could try these two links:

https://support2.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/win...te-issues/en-us
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...7#1TC=windows-7

First one is an automatic fixer for windows update. That didn't fix it for me but the second one did it. Concretely, I had the BITS service in manual mode, so it wasn't started.

Then, you can try to restart the installation:

http://betanews.com/2015/07/29/how-to-manu...ows-10-upgrade/

I had one more problem during installation. When it reboots and starts the installation, after the step of copying the files, it is supposed to reboot. It didn't reboot for me, so I had to manually reboot it. After that, it all went fine, aside of the problems with synaptic touchpad (scrolling doesn't work).  Others report that they have problems with video and audio drivers, but I'm fine on that regard.

Reply #4
Still OT but audio related. I mentioned frontah and it still works comfortable. I have several functions scripted i got used to over the years.
Running programs in compatibility mode to my knowledge forbids drag&drop and for this frontend it is a killer.
Today i learned "Windows 7 compatibility" in Win 10 still allows d&d while XP mode does not. Luckily frontah works now like i am used to.
Hope someone on some day will find this info usefull.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #5
No problems so far with CUETools on Win10 Pro here (only a few test runs performed).
I suspect the OP's problem is similar to this topic but this is just a guess.

edit: fix link
korth

Re: CUETools: Error, path is not of a legal form?

Reply #6
I know this is an old thread but its the first one that shows in a Google search for this particular issue.  I've had exactly the same on Windows 10 and so far haven't found any fix, this happens why trying to open a cue file and associated flac - for now i've had to revert to using cuetools on another older pc with win7 and there's no issues.

Reply #7
The OP didn't post enough information and didn't offer anything more when told the details were vague.
korth

Reply #8
After my recent experience with this problem, I'm apologetically necroing this thread for future visitors, given its Google search result relevance.

The error "Exception: The path is not of a legal form" can result if the Output field under "CUE Paths" is left blank when attempting to perform a function. The "Use template" mode can be selected to avoid this issue, since quitting CUETools after using "Browse" or "Manual" will always result in a blank Output field upon relaunch.

As an unrelated aside (especially if you're a new user), make sure to right-click Properties and check "Unblock" on the install ZIP. This should take care of most of your problems.

CUETools v 2.2.2