Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I access [file] "type" (Read 1783 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I access [file] "type"

Please  excuse my ignorance on this question, but I just started using Foobar 
It is version 9.69, on Windows Vista 64.
90% of my audio files are stored in either FLAC or Ogg Vorbis format.

In the library, I need to use the "type" field or the file exstention to show what type of audio file format I have.
I will tend to do backups, where I store both FLAC and Ogg format in the same subfolder.
My PC folder structure goes like this:
  • My Music
  •     Artist
  •         Album
  •             Track number - Name.ext

It works out very well for me, as I can sort them by type.
I also have altered  the display of the type, as I have a little custom icon that shows differently, depending on the audio file or format type.

I have a COWON D2, portable media player (MP3 Player), which natively has decoders for both FLAC and Ogg Vorbis. So about 90% of my audio stored is either
  in FLAC or Ogg Vorbis format.
There are some times, with some audio books or some audio documentaries (particularly BBC documentaries), that the files will be in MP3 format.

On my COWON, I usually copy Ogg Vorbis formatted audio to it to listen.
When I am using my PC or Notebook, I will play the FLAC format.
The FLAC is also what I consider my "archive format", as I encode to FLAC, in the form that is most identical to the original source, meaning, no reply gain
  or any other type of audio modifier.

I hope you understand that when I want to play something using Foobar , I need to access the file type (type or ext).
In the help, I do not see how I can access a field (I tried entering "type" as a field), and it did not take.

I also use J River's Media Center and have for many years, and "type", is a very accessible field that I can access and use how I want.

Can you help me with this and let me know how I can grab that field to allow me to easily select, sort, display and search on this file type field ??

Thanks,

Jon
Is the FBI Socialized Law Enforcement, like Healthcare

Reply #1
Can you help me with this and let me know how I can grab that field to allow me to easily select, sort, display and search on this file type field ??

I am unsure whether I understand you correctly, I hope this will answer your question:

The Title Formatting Syntax for file extensions is $ext(%filename_ext%).

So you may want to create a custom column with this syntax. To sort your playlists by file type, click on the column's header or go to menu Edit, Sort -> Sort by...:

$ext(%filename_ext%)

Also it is possible to search your Media Library for certain file types only (and to make an Autoplaylist with the search results):

Main menu Library, Search, type in:
  • "$ext(%path%)" IS flac = flac files only
  • "$ext(%path%)" IS ogg = ogg files only
  • "$info(encoding)" IS lossless = lossless file types only
To search the Media Library for certain file types only with a specified path type in:

%path% HAS "c:\your path\subfolder" AND "$ext(%path%)" IS flac
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #2
Also try [font= "Courier New"]%codec%[/font].
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.