Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: High frequency switch in Xing (Read 1446 times) previous topic - next topic

High frequency switch in Xing

I'm referring to the last Xing encoder released by XingTech before they were bought out by RealNetworks (aka Xing (new)).  There is an option (on by default) that allows Xing to encode frequencies up to 20 kHz. 

Using a spectrograph to judge (I'm not claiming anything on quality, just commenting on the lowpass characteristics), it seems this high frequency option is only valid for VBR and not CBR, which is cut off at 16 kHz.  While in VBR, it seems only certain parts have their spectra extended to 20 kHz (mainly transients).

Anyway, I'm interested in whether anyone has double blind tested Xing (say at VBR 50 or 75 ~ 128 to 160 kbps) with and without this high frequency option and noted differences in quality.  Does the extra high frequency preservation improve or harm quality?