Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: true silver/silver and the BEST cdr media (Read 5531 times) previous topic - next topic

true silver/silver and the BEST cdr media

I've been using this true silver/silver media for about 200 discs now and I just started to notice just how easy the top layer of the stuff is to scrap off.

It shouldn't be that easy to do should it? :/

Can someone recommend a brand of media that I can buy on a 100 spindle that has a more protective coating?  What is the best out there?

Thanks!

Reply #1
The layer will scrape off easy on cheap cdr's.  Silver on Silver is not true silver.
Read this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2033111196

Then check out this
http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/webCatalog.pl...ital+Audio+Gold

I don't believe they come on 100 roll spindles but if you buy on line kodak has some good deals
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Reply #2
These CD's with a plain silver top are designed to be labled with CD labels. They are left silver so that no print shows through the label.

Once they are labeled, they are very reliable but not doing so is ver risky as you found out.

CD labels are very chaep as well though and custom labels are pretty cool.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

Reply #3
Kodak Gold and Kodac Silver Gold have extra protective layers.

The silver gold is a phenylcyanine dye and they are very reasonable in price. $100 Canadian for a stack of 100.

Reply #4
Yes Kodak was a good CD-R manufacturer, but the problem is ... Kodak has discontinued the CD-R product line from January 2002 !

You can find all the infos here :

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib4351.shtml;jsessionid=2OLH3HGLJXFLJQHIO2SXWJI

Wich brand CD-R we can use? Wat do you think about Verbatim DataLife PLUS?

Fede

Reply #5
If you can stand 74-min. CD-R's, I found that I rather like Verbatim Datalife silvers.  In fact I recently ordered a spool from cdrplanet.com.  After trying several, the block error rates are low, and they seem durable.

Edit -- ARRRRRRRR... sorry Fede.  I didn't read the last line of your post.  Well, what do I think -- I like them!

Reply #6
I've been using Mitsui discs for a few years now and have had very good success with them.

Reply #7
I've been buying Fujifilm discs lately, which are currently made by Taiyo Yuden and are the best discs I've been able to find in the past year or so.  I get 50 spindles from The Real Canadian Superstore for $40 ($Cdn, obviously).  You can tell that they're the Taiyo Yuden discs by the spindle packaging, which has a distinctive screw-top holding the dome cover on.

Reply #8
All my Mitsuis are becoming unreadable.
I've found a HiSpace CDR burned the same day with the same content as a Mitsui, that is still in good state.
I can't post ATIPs, my Yamaha CRW 3200e doesn't want to read them.

Reply #9
Hi Pio2001,

i have the same problem with my SONY CDQ-74CN made by MISTUI. When i buy these CDs i was sure about theirs quality, but after 6 months i start verify that they are becoming unreadable  First the second half (approximately from the 40 minute) then all the CD-R and i lost many mp3s .... i will never buy another MITSUI CD-R

Fede