Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD 192 MP3 loses first 2 sec on iPhone (Read 4425 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD 192 MP3 loses first 2 sec on iPhone

When I rip any CD w/ XLD at 192 CBR, files play as expected in any player WIN or MAC.

Only when I sync the MP3's via iTunes to my iPhone, all songs play as if first 2-3 sec of music was muted.

If I set XLD to any other bitrate, songs play normally.
If I use iTunes or MAX at 192 CBR songs again play normally.

Searched everywhere for someone w/ similar issue, guess I'm alone.

Sucks cause I just spent a day or so re-ripping 20-30 CDs just to find every song has this problem.
Was trying to get away from MAX due to the lack of FreeDB, and it not tagging correctly half the time.

Anyone else having similar issues

Thanks

Reply #1
In case anyone cares.

The version of XLD here is 20100123.

When running 20100123 an update to 20100302 is available.

I of course updated to the new version, thinking newer=better.

Well not in this case, anything ripped @192 MP3 in the old 20100123 ver plays fine when sync'd to iPhone.

and as stated above anything ripped in the new 20100302 ver plays w/ first 2-3 muted when sync'd to iPhone.

Must be a strange bug in the new version. I'll email the dev and ref this post.

Anyone want to try to replicate this.
I've tried it on 2 different Macs, but I don't have another iPhone to try.

Reply #2
This is a bug in LAME 3.98.3. All programs using 3.98.3 suffer from the problem. I've already reported the problem to Robert, so the fix will be available soon.

Reply #3
FWIW, I'm running XLD 20100302 (116.6), as well, and a 2nd-gen iPod touch running the latest firmware (3.1.3), and LAME-encoded CBR 192 MP3s play perfectly.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #4
Well whatever is the issue I hope it gets fixed.

I'm gearing up to re-rip all my CD's to FLAC and then re-encode to MP3 for the iPhone

Or maybe I'll just wait for the 128GB iPhone.

Reply #5
Why not use VBR (with "Target quality" = 2.0)?  It'll give you better quality at very nearly the same average file sizes, and all six of my iPods (including my 4G 20GB and the little 'postage-stamp' shuffle) play LAME-encoded VBR MP3s perfectly.

About the only drawback is inaccurate seeking in long tracks (10+ min. or so)...and yes, there will be variations in file sizes, but unless you listen mostly to metal/industrial music, the overall bitrate and file sizes should be very close to CBR 192 MP3s.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #7
so this only affects CBR and not VBR? thanks for the quick fix.

edit: i saw roberts next post, tested on some V0 encoded files and there was no problem. (lame --decode --silent file.mp3)