Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to bypass wma's protection (Read 20834 times) previous topic - next topic

how to bypass wma's protection

a friend of mine had to format his computer and everything he ripped was using wma, now he is having problems with his backup..... he asked for help, the only idea i had was transcoding but dbpoweramp doesn't accept protected files.
(i tried a forum search but i wasn't able to find)
any ideas?

PS.: sorry for the english mistakes

Reply #1
Search Google for "freeme WMA".

Might help him. Might not.

Reply #2
Tell your friend to start using something other than wma.  Mp3 would probably be the most accessible.

Reply #3
You could try a Google search for "unfuck WMA" also.
Never used WMA myself so I don't know if it really works , but some people say it does.
Maybe it's obsolete for the latest WMA versions (WMA 9) , you'll have to try.

Reply #4
Well it is still supposed to be backwards compatable. And we are still talking ASF. So new WMA should not be a big deal since any DRM is stored in the ASF and not the WMA stream. Anyhow. Just another case of those things that Microsoft say can't/don't happen in action.

Reply #5
r the files still playable??

if yes, he can try to use the program TotalRecorder to save a wav of the file, or maybe winamp diskwriter (will need an older version of winamp full, 2.64 if remember it right).
if the answer is no, use one of the tips above^

Reply #6
Um. If he uses any sort of diskwriter he will likely have uncompressed PCM. Or transcoded somthing else. Yech. I would either go for breaking the DRM or my favorite option of re-encoding to a propper format from the original sources again.

Reply #7
I would either go for breaking the DRM

How to do it?

Reply #8
"unfuck" will decode the files to PCM and transcode back to a compressed format, while "freeme" will use OpenSSL to actually remove the encryption from the file without decoding it.

However, both of them require that you already have a license for the file. If Media Player won't play it, those tools won't work.

Reply #9
Hey,
Yes, I had the same problem, "unfuck" re-encodes the mp3's into 64k/bits and "freeme" comes up with some error message about encryption keys being too long. I hope someone comes up with a nice DRM "stripper"
LOL,
Burgerings

Reply #10
From rarewares' "Others" page:
Alternative WMA plugins for Winamp

Allow usage of output plugins (WMA->WAV). Peter's one doesn't work with DRM.

Download (62Kb)

I have never tried it myself, and i'm surprised rjamorim didn't mentioned it, but apparently, this is exactly what you need.

Reply #11
this is exactly what you need.

Not if he doesn't have the licenses - which got deleted, it seems.

Reply #12
I'm not sure if this would help, but...

http://asfrecorder.sourceforge.net

I use it to download asf/asx files from the internet.(So that when watching streaming video,
I can watch 300/500/1000 K streams while my 256 K adsl doesn't allow that in real-time.
However if the stream is "live", as in it doesn't have a predetermined length it won't work).

When I give it an asf/asx movie file it saves it as .wmv on my computer, the annoying part of that
is that I can't seek in the file  .

Maybe if you would put in the asf file it would give a wma file...

Worth trying I guess.

Oh well I hope your friend has learned a valuable lesson.
(Oh well I too have been guilty of ripping to wma, don't do it anymore though  )

Reply #13
Edit: I should have said nothing. I'll just mind my own business.
I couldn't care less if you're his friend, or just him on a proxy or whatever.

Reply #14
Wouldn't a tool to break the encryption without owning the original key be illegal? Hence non-discussable?

Well it wouldn't be illegal in Brazil.(seeing Brazil doesn't have the DMCA)
And I do not think mentioning programs (that are probably legal in Brazil) would be illegal on a US message board even if they do things that are illegal in the US.

edit: and yet again I find myself entering philosophical debates. I'll stop now.

Reply #15
Wouldn't a tool to break the encryption without owning the original key be illegal? Hence non-discussable?

And I do not think mentioning programs (that are probably legal in Brazil) would be illegal on a US message board even if they do things that are illegal in the US.

Well, I know this much, it applies to the country in which is server is located, not where the person who discusses it is. If someone in Tanzania stores 100Gb of warez on a server in the US, he will get in trouble if discovered.
Johnny, du er min elskovspony, jeg rider på dig...

...Собой остаться дольше...

Reply #16

edit: and yet again I find myself entering philosophical debates. I'll stop now.

Read the manual

discussion containing information of how to obtain such material, bypass protection methodologies of such material, or otherwise violate laws pertaining to such matters, will not be tolerated
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #17
thankx for the help 
i'll try to search for those programs tonight

Reply #18
BTW, I would also recommend locking the original WMA thread, since I guess everything about that subject has already been discussed, and from this point we risk breaking the ToS.

Reply #20
Bypassing someone elses DRM or security is verboten. Fair enough. But in this case he is only wanting to bypass "his" DRM. And speaking of it in that context there should not be a problem. In fact more pressure should be put on MS just for things like this. Because no matter how much they downplay it there is a problem.

Reply #21
Unfortunately Neo Neko, according to the moronic laws recently enacted in the good ol' U.S. of A, it's still illegal.

Reply #22
Unfortunately Neo Neko, according to the moronic laws recently enacted in the good ol' U.S. of A, it's still illegal.

True. It doesn't matter whose are the files.

It's the same as DVDs. It doesn't matter if you're the owner, deCSSing them is illegal.

Reply #23
Well we could enter a discussion about advocasy here etc. But I will reffrain from that. It is for the mods of the board to decide what is acceptable or not in the end. Personally I see no problem with such discussion. If someone wants to prosecute me for backing up my own DVD and CDs then thats fine. Bring it on. If I have to bypass security so be it. The DMCA is like locking yourself out of the house and saying "Damn! And I liked that house too. Oh well. It is lost to me. Time to get a new one I suppose.". I mean after all. If you lock yourself out of your house then shouldn't it be illegal to call a locksmith to get back in? You are bypassing security. Albeit your own.

Some laws are meant to be obeyed. IE killing people. Unless they are breaking into your house or posing an immediate threat to your life don't do it. Some laws are meant to be broken/reformed/amended. DMCA? Oh yeah! How are we gonna change obvious crap like that without challenging it. And it is not just the DMCA. But I digress. It's up to the mods/admins.

Reply #24
yep, but if you want to discuss the evils of the DMCA until your head pops off, head to Slashdot. There is a story about it pretty much every day.