Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stereo amplifier fault/diagnosis (Read 6150 times) previous topic - next topic

Stereo amplifier fault/diagnosis

I have a NAD amp of 2012 make, that has an amber light when on standby. When the on button is pressed, it takes a few seconds for the amber to turn green, and for the amp to play. All this, in silence.
The fault I am seeing now is this: the light turns to green, and after a few seconds reverts to amber, with a very loud pop from the speakers. Obviously, the amp does not play then.
Also, sometimes, this does not happen; the amp performs the way it always has.
Questions therefore:
What could be happening?
What is the fix?
Until the fix is in place, any risk in playing the amp, given that the speakers will pop for every failed attempt?
And a shot in the dark: would turning NAD soft clipping ON via the switch at the rear help as a workaround of sorts?
Thanks for any insights, they will be much appreciated. It isn't easy to get good service for such kit these days, and buying a replacement seems an awful waste.

Re: Stereo amplifier fault/diagnosis

Reply #1
Probably an internal component failure or maybe an intermittent (internal) connection.   If neither channels works in "fail mode", it's most-likely a power supply problem.

And with amplifiers being so cheap these days it's probably not worth paying for an hour (or so) of labor plus parts to get it fixed.   But, you could check with NAD to see what their repair policy is.

Until the fix is in place, any risk in playing the amp, given that the speakers will pop for every failed attempt?
Yes, there is a chance of frying your speakers.    Can you see the woofers?   If you see the woofer pop-out or pop-in and stay, that's DC voltage (and it's a bad thing).   But anything "loud" and uncontrolled could damage your speakers.    

And a shot in the dark: would turning NAD soft clipping ON via the switch at the rear help as a workaround of sorts?
I'd be surprised if that helps, but you can try it but any time you turn the thing on you're risking damage to your speakers.

Reply #2
Thanks; this is on the lines I expected, but I was hoping for something different:-).

It isn't as much a question of cost of repairs, as just the availability of someone with the time/skills for it.

Reply #3
The other thing is that the issue comes and goes - that make it more difficult to pin down. And every start then is a bit of a chance being taken on possible damage to speakers if it does pop up its head again.

Reply #4
It isn't as much a question of cost of repairs, as just the availability of someone with the time/skills for it.
It wasn't hard to Google...

NAD: Where can I get my unit serviced / repaired - Parts

I would recommend "factory authorized" service because they'll have a repair manual and schematics, and they can order original factory parts..

Reply #5
Thanks for that, Doug; the thing is that the country distributor is a hundred miles away in another city. Add to that my experience with these folk being interested in sales of imported kit and perhaps offering warranty support by way of replacements; few have the interest or the skills to do component level repairs even in India, where I am. As you suggested, buying a new amp may be the only alternative but it seems a waste. I think I will first look at in-city repairmen and take a chance before going the new amp route.

If a local repairman can be found, for sure the cost will not be an issue; I can get things done for less than 20% of new. But there is the big "if".