Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plextor Premium2: How to burn audio cd's with AMQR enabled? (Read 1354 times) previous topic - next topic

Plextor Premium2: How to burn audio cd's with AMQR enabled?

Hello everyone! I recently acquired a Plextor Premium2 in order to burn high quality audio cd's for my car and I was wondering if anyone knows how to burn cd's with AMQR enabled. Is it possible to use EAC as the burning software so that I can use my drives write offset? Thanks!

Re: Plextor Premium2: How to burn audio cd's with AMQR enabled?

Reply #1
Isn't that something that was available only with Plextools?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
Yeah it was a feature that was licensed from Yamaha that supposedly allowed one to burn "studio quality" CD's. I've found the setting in PlexTools Professional XL 3.16 under the Gigarec Drive Feature yet I wasn't sure if this was only available to use in PlexTools Professional XL or if I can burn with EAC as I would prefer to use my drives write offset when burning if possible.

Reply #3
hi
I was looking for a drive like it ,but i have't an ide adaptor  , and it's harder to find it
may i ask but is burned quality so better compared others drives like asus or lg or matshita or others (sadly i guess mostly are made by lg and several brands use their drive) ?

@itisljar
Hi
can I ask you a question ?
what/which software can you use with AMQR
and does plextor still build/make  great dvd burners?

thanks

Reply #4
what/which software can you use with AMQR
and does plextor still build/make  great dvd burners?
thanks

I don't know of any other software that can use AMQR other than PlexTools.
Plextor doesn't exist anymore, and in last few years they were rebranding drives from other manufacturers. I forgot which was last Plextor-made drive, I think it was DVD Writer 716 something.

Reply #5
Ok so I performed a little test. I enabled AMQR via the "Drive Settings" menu on Plextools Professional XL. Doing so will limit the write speed to 4x specifically in Plextools. What I found out was that after enabling AMQR, I Iaunched EAC and went to the "Write CD-R" menu and found that the write speeds for that program was limited to 4x specifically as well! I burned an audio CD on EAC to test and it turns out that the "written" portion of the disc appears larger than the "Non-AMQR" burn I did of the same CD. So it appears as though it might actually work that way. Although I cannot say the the resulting sound from the AMQR burn is superior to the original.

Reply #6
And why would it be superior? It just makes wider burn areas, so theoretically these discs would be easier to read; but, it's not really standard Audio CD anymore, and some CD players could refuse to load disks like these.

Reply #7
At the time of the Premium2's release it was advertised as being a "Studio Mastering Quality" burning technique. I tested some AMQR discs on my 1998 car and it does read them, but the sound quality imo doesn't sound any better lol.

Reply #8
The "Studio Mastering Quality" they're talking about is (theoretically) better error resilience. If your CD drive is able to read both CDs without errors, then you won't hear any difference because it's exactly the same digital data. You will only hear a difference if there are read errors on one CD and not the other.

Reply #9
I think a lot of what Plextor was trying was to achieve was to allow their drives to burn CDRs that every CD player could read. Many CD players did poorly reading CDRs because they weren't designed with CDRs in mind.

By tuning the burning process, one could hope to find settings that worked with their particular, usually in car, CD player.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)