Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I don't want to live on this planet anymore... (Read 22720 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Reply #50
Well surely, every millisecond you leave your files on a hard drive, you run a risk of corruption and crash and data loss.
And every time you open the file in an audio editor - or media player - the hard drive is further worn.

And every time you read an internet forum, there is positive probability (or at least nonnegative), that some digital transfer messes up, and you read a "avoid this snakeoil!" as "yes, makes a night-and-day difference".

Reply #51
Well surely, every millisecond you leave your files on a hard drive, you run a risk of corruption and crash and data loss.
And every time you open the file in an audio editor - or media player - the hard drive is further worn.

And every time you read an internet forum, there is positive probability (or at least nonnegative), that some digital transfer messes up, and you read a "avoid this snakeoil!" as "yes, makes a night-and-day difference".

The first is solved by regular and proper back ups.  If a drive is healthy and there is no hardware or software issues, or even power failures while the drive is writing something then all the data stored stays intact.

The second one is extreme and while wear and tear from age is not preventable, the tasks said are not even the slightest bit demanding for any hard drive to handle to make any wear that is occurring considerably worse.

The third one is any line of communication is susceptible to failures.  In my experience it either works or doesn't it, no inbetweens for digital ones.  Most system designs make use of things like error correction and redundancy to increase robustness.

Reply #52
This guy is a complete buffoon with a seemingly endless trove of moronic treasures.  Just yesterday ...

Proof positive that people can and will make up just about anything in order not to consider an alternate reality.
Here is proof! It is all about improved signal integrity!
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #53
This guy is a complete buffoon with a seemingly endless trove of moronic treasures.  Just yesterday ...

Proof positive that people can and will make up just about anything in order not to consider an alternate reality.
Obviously it is not good enough. Some people copied their files to ramdrive, and then they DEFRAG the ramdrive and they can hear a difference!

Reply #55
Using a PC/Squeezebox for music storage/distribution is one of the easiest things I've ever done, it really is a shame so many feel the need to make it so much more complicated than it needs to be...

Reply #56

Obviously it is not good enough. Some people copied their files to ramdrive, and then they DEFRAG the ramdrive and they can hear a difference!

LMAO!  I defrag my hard drive a lot because I'm a neat freak about computer maintenance.  Who needs a RAM drive for music?  It's a waste of valuable RAM that could be used for other things.  The music all sounds the same to me regardless if it's in the RAM or playing off the hard drive.

Reply #57
I haven't defrag my hard drives since I upgraded from Windows 98 SE to Windows 2000, and of course XP and my current Windows 7 :))

Reply #58
The negative expectation bias of us all prevents ourself from hearing the truth!

Reply #59
I haven't defrag my hard drives since I upgraded from Windows 98 SE to Windows 2000, and of course XP and my current Windows 7 :))

That computer must be slow.  It must take 30 minutes to open your browser.  :P  I used a computer once whose hard drive was never defragmented, it crawled with everything like a turtle.  Once an application was loaded into the RAM it was a lot faster.

More recent versions of Windows do this automatically, unless you change the default setting from weekly to never.  You can however do it manually, like after deleting or adding a bunch of stuff to your computer as a form of housekeeping.

Reply #60
You are all forgetting the simple fact that audio is more than just ones and zeros. the clarity and crispness of those ones and zeroes has a huge impact.

Proof:
Write down a sequence of ones and zeroes on two pieces of papers. Crumble one pieces of paper into a ball and then unfold it again.
now it clearly to see that one sequence of ones and zeroes looks a lot more neat and its nice to look at compare to the one from the crumbled paper. Even though we can still perfectly read it as ones and zeroes, one of them just stands out better.

#AnalogRuleZ
#Digitalhurtsmyears
#16bitsisnotenough
#iloveplacebo
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #61

That computer must be slow.  It must take 30 minutes to open your browser.  :P  I used a computer once whose hard drive was never defragmented, it crawled with everything like a turtle.  Once an application was loaded into the RAM it was a lot faster.

More recent versions of Windows do this automatically, unless you change the default setting from weekly to never.  You can however do it manually, like after deleting or adding a bunch of stuff to your computer as a form of housekeeping.

I disabled the service, and disabled indexing as well. Things slow down if disk space is low so I will not let any partition over 90% full. I have a Samsung 1TB disk purchased in 2010 and a Toshiba 3TB purchased in 2014 and I have never defragged them. Just analyzed the disk and the Samsung is 13% fragmented and the Toshiba 0%.

Just tried to start a browser. My main OS drive is in an ADATA 256GB SSD and it starts firefox in about 2 seconds after reboot. My secondary OS is in the Samsung HDD and it starts firefox in about 6 seconds after reboot.

Most of my audio files are stored in the Toshiba HDD. It still has about 60% of free space.

Reply #62
... ... ...
Proof:
Write down a sequence of ones and zeroes on two pieces of papers. Crumble one pieces of paper into a ball and then unfold it again.
now it clearly to see that one sequence of ones and zeroes looks a lot more neat and its nice to look at compare to the one from the crumbled paper. Even though we can still perfectly read it as ones and zeroes, one of them just stands out better.
Oh My God... You're Right! I never expected to see them differently; I never wanted to, so I can't be biased. Even my wife commented on how nice and crisp the uncrumpled ones and zeros looked. Ones and zeros will never be the same for me again.

You know what? I could even pass one of those crazy blind-test things on this.

Oh wait...

Using a PC/Squeezebox for music storage/distribution is one of the easiest things I've ever done, it really is a shame so many feel the need to make it so much more complicated than it needs to be...
Easy is not audiophool. Cheap is not audiophool. Neither of those things boost the audiophool ego in any way, so they are absolutely excluded.

Come to think of it, why do we even bother with those crazy people and their lunatic fantasies? I'm a recovering audiophile. I even need a small dose of audiophilia from time to time (I can handle it) but those computer idiots are much too much for me.

By the way. I use Linux: I never defrag a filesystem. Easy. Even with Windows, a file system does not necessarily get fragmented over time: it depends how it is used.

Back in the day when IT management was the job, I had a guy who was always de-fragging his PC, and then telling everyone how much quicker his spreadsheets loaded ...from the file server.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #63
I heard about quantum computers can have intermediate states between 0 and 1 but I have only used a 40GB Quantum harddisk 15 years ago :))

Reply #64
Come to think of it, why do we even bother with those crazy people and their lunatic fantasies? I'm a recovering audiophile. I even need a small dose of audiophilia from time to time (I can handle it) but those computer idiots are much too much for me.
The realistic problem with audio silliness is that i may have to pay a higher price for good sounding music.
The HiBit business already sells purposely more compressed and compromised quality in standard resolution and blames the medium.
Soon there will be releases that magicaly sound best only in MQA or DSD 1024.
I see the delivery format and DAC gear a solved problem. The problem these days is that people read to much on the net and believe in loads of crap. Sometimes i feel almost sad for some posters out there that want stand out through supernatural listening reports and honestly believe what their brain hears.

Reply #65
Vainaja, a band I'm following on Bandcamp, has put the 24-bit high dynamic range (DR around ~14) masters used for the vinyl releases of their two latest albums up on their page alongside the more compressed "normal" versions.

I'm a bit torn on this, because on one hand they could just have put high dynamic range mix out originally, but I think maybe the vinyl versions happened sometime after the original release, they brought in Dan Swanö to remaster everything. I kinda hope they just stick with making high dynamic range versions in the future.

On the other hand, both the original compressed version and the DR14 "24 bit vinyl master" cost the same, so that's something at least.

Reply #66
Vainaja, a band I'm following on Bandcamp, has put the 24-bit high dynamic range (DR around ~14) masters used for the vinyl releases of their two latest albums up on their page alongside the more compressed "normal" versions.

I'm a bit torn on this, because on one hand they could just have put high dynamic range mix out originally, but I think maybe the vinyl versions happened sometime after the original release, they brought in Dan Swanö to remaster everything. I kinda hope they just stick with making high dynamic range versions in the future.

On the other hand, both the original compressed version and the DR14 "24 bit vinyl master" cost the same, so that's something at least.

And what is the DR of the actual vinyl version during playback, I wonder.

Reply #67
Good question. Unfortunately the DR measurement can be highly skewed for vinyl playback, as we've seen before.

Reply #68
I'm a bit torn on this, because on one hand they could just have put high dynamic range mix out originally, but I think maybe the vinyl versions happened sometime after the original release, they brought in Dan Swanö to remaster everything.

You probably know this: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,98199.msg866222.html#msg866222

Reply #69
Yeah, I read your post with great interest. I've always had a lot of respect for Swanö's work, and things like this just reinforce that.

Reply #70
The realistic problem with audio silliness is that i may have to pay a higher price for good sounding music.
The HiBit business already sells purposely more compressed and compromised quality in standard resolution and blames the medium.
Soon there will be releases that magicaly sound best only in MQA or DSD 1024.
... ... ...

What a horribly dishonest industry.

I regret very much that I am loosing my hearing to an extent that can no longer be laughed off as "not much music at those frequencies anyway," (I can't even here the kitchen timer at 4k these days) but now that I am only too aware that I couldn't hear the difference even if there was one, at least the audiophile interest is dropping away fast.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #71

I hope there is an upside in that they may start to output good sounding music, instead of brickwalled productions (or remasters) only.

Reply #73
Ok, that has GOT to be a joke.

No? Well, darn :-(

E: Oh my, they were literally measuring the physical height of the music (with a measuring tape, very scientific!) and how it "changed" when they messed around with the metadata. You can't make this stuff up!

Reply #74
A harp moving 25 inches up upon decoding a .flac to a .wav?  Porcus is impressed!  ???
And a mighty 75 inches up if the metadata were removed? That HARP_HEIGHT tag is working.

Or some computer has likely been fed more than it could chew. Possibly the one in between the ears.

(... edit: have they used .flac with Replaygain and .wav without?)