Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does LP refer to a Vinyl record? (Read 1840 times) previous topic - next topic

Does LP refer to a Vinyl record?

Does LP refer to a Vinyl? or can it be both a CD or Vinyl? I have a few albums ripped from Vinyl and I would like to include the words {LP} after the title to differentiate them from the CD version.

Re: Does LP refer to a Vinyl record?

Reply #1
LP = Lone Play Vinyl 12-inch.
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #2
Thank you. Those Vinyl records that are smaller than 12" are called EP? I think I saw EP used for CDs which makes me a little bit  confused about it.

Reply #3
EP or "extended play" records are can be 12", 10" or 7", but have fewer songs than a typical album:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play

EPs can be issued on CD, too.  "Vinyl records that are smaller than 12"" would also include 45s and 78s.

Reply #4

LP = Long Play. Album length. And no it’s doesn’t always mean vinyl, there’s plenty of people how use LP as a substitute for “Album”

Reply #5
Agreed: LP = long play i.e. a 12” vinyl disc playing at 33 1/3 rpm, i.e. a duration LONGer than the typical previous generation disc: playing at 78 rpm.
Martin - HeadSpin Videography

Reply #6

LP = Long Play. Album length. And no it’s doesn’t always mean vinyl, there’s plenty of people how use LP as a substitute for “Album”

In that case, it probably makes more sense to tag my Vinyl rips with the word "Vinyl"
I would leave out "Rip" as in "Vinyl Rip" because it looks like "Rest in Peace" LOL. I will use the word "Vinyl" alone. Bause it is on a hard drive someone who see the word Vinyl in the album name probably understand that it cannot be a physical Vinyl record. Am I right?