Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Verify that a music file (mp3, flac, m4a, opus) has a replaygain tag? (Read 2151 times) previous topic - next topic

Verify that a music file (mp3, flac, m4a, opus) has a replaygain tag?

Hello. I am not sure where to ask this so please tolerate me.

Basically I am writing a script to find music files in my library (consisting of mp3, flac, m4a and opus files) that do not have a replaygain tag. But I am really sure how to check if a file has a replaygain tag. Right now what I am doing is:

• if a file uses id3 tags (as mp3 and flac files do), look for tags that have "replaygain" in them. I am just checking for "replaygain" because I have noticed that different tools name the tags differently. Plus there are replaygain tags for both albums and tracks.
  • if a file uses vorbis comments (like opus), look for r128 tags. Reasoning is similar to above.

I am not sure if this is the correct way. It's just based on my observation of what replaygain tags look like and I don't know anything about the specification. Any hints or suggestions?

Re: Verify that a music file (mp3, flac, m4a, opus) has a replaygain tag?

Reply #1
Are you learning how to write such a script, or are you just interested in getting the job done?

(Both Mp3tag and foobar2000 can do the job for you.)

Reply #2
Are you learning how to write such a script, or are you just interested in getting the job done?

(Both Mp3tag and foobar2000 can do the job for you.)

This is more for a learning experience. Trying to get better at Python and Rust so trying to use those for it. Thanks for the suggestion though because I can use those to verify the result of whatever I come up with eventually.

Reply #3
FLAC, Vorbis and Speex have regular Replaygain tags. Only Opus is the odd one.