Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Realtek Digital Output Using WASAPI Exclusive Mode Requires 24-bit Padded (Read 1911 times) previous topic - next topic

Realtek Digital Output Using WASAPI Exclusive Mode Requires 24-bit Padded

This is for people who don't know. For people who do know, please skip this, or add to it. Thanks.

Many Realtek drivers using a digital output require 24-bit Padded when using WASAPI EXCLUSIVE Mode (not WASAPI shared mode or DirectSound Mode). How 24-bit padded differs from 32-bit is: 24-bit padded is a 24-bit digital signal wrapped in a 32-bit package. So, going into your system settings and changing it to 32-bit is different from 24-bit padded (It's not the same).

With my Realtek driver (using digital output), I can use 24-bit integer using WASAPI. However, I must use 24-bit padded if I use WASAPI EXCLUSIVE MODE (Bit-perfect Mode). Amazon Music HD uses WASAPI Exclusive Mode, but it is not Bit perfect, which means 24-bit padded is not needed for digital outputs. Whereas JRiver WASAPI Exclusive Mode is Bit-Perfect. Which then, 24-bit padded is needed for digital outputs.

Also note that In WASAPI Shared Mode, WASAPI Exclusive (non-bit-perfect) mode and Direct Sound Mode, Windows up-convert all audio to 32-bit float and will down-convert if the hardware doesn't support 32-bit. The frequency and bit-depth are converted to what is set in Windows sound settings. So, it would be wise to set the Shared bit-depth and frequency accordingly in Windows sound settings. WASAPI Exclusive (Bit-Perfect) Mode bypasses all of this.