Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ludbeat - Bone Conduction Headphones (Read 2923 times) previous topic - next topic

Ludbeat - Bone Conduction Headphones

These are headphones with bone conduction technology, sound is transmitted by vibrating the temporal bone of the human skull, leaving the outer ear canal open. Sound through vibrations is directly transmitted to the inner ear through the bone.
~ https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ludbeat-bone-conduction-wireless-headphones#/

Anyone used bone conduction headphones? I wonder are these really safer?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Re: Ludbeat - Bone Conduction Headphones

Reply #1
I've never tried them, but I have been interested in similar products. I can't help but feel the audio quality must be terrible - how are they dealing with high frequencies?!

Reply #2
I have a pair of bone conduction hp, I use these when riding bicicle in urban traffic, so I am aware of the rest of the world.
Another case of use: when I'm working at night (retirement house, elder people calls or someone can try an evasion)
Audio quality is nothing special, really. Better than nothing though

Reply #3
I'm using Aftershokz Aeropex right now at work, and I like them so much that I have 2. Sound quality will never be the same as proper head/earphones, but when you need the convenience of hearing outside sounds there's really no comparison. I also have Airpods Pro and Sony WI-1000XM2 which offer transparency mode, and they're OK in a pinch, but for long periods of time there's nothing better than just having your ears wide open.

Another use is that you can plug your ears with proper earplugs and have much better isolation than any IEM out there. These Aeropex have a secondary EQ curve for that purpose. Or, you can wear earphones and have sounds from 2 sources simultaneously if you don't mind looking extra dorky.

Sony had some interesting designs as well like the STH40D and SBH82D, but they're kinda awkward to put on and they look weirder than the Aftershokz (I have them too). Plus it's not clear to other people that you don't have earphones on, so for instance if you're at work it might seem rude to talk to someone with those on.

But those Indiegogo ones trigger all the scam red flags for me, so don't buy them. There isn't even a prototype, it's "In Demand" (they don't need a goal to take your money), and of course it's scam-friendly Indiegogo. Marketing buzzwords, and really, you have to tape a goddamn sticker to the sides of your head?! All bone conduction headsets I've had work well only when there's a bit of pressure .

Reply #4
Huh, I read the Aftershokz Aeropex don't even support any advanced codecs, just SBC. Is this even noticeable?

Reply #5
Huh, I read the Aftershokz Aeropex don't even support any advanced codecs, just SBC. Is this even noticeable?
Not at all, but then again I don't really care much about codecs when I buy headsets, except maybe if if affects latency, has this been an issue for you?

In any case, you really don't buy this for the sound quality and any company claiming they are on par with even average earphones (or even crappy ones) is not telling the truth. Low and high freqs are limited when you're using them open-ear, and when you plug your ears bass gets louder, but it's still not very deep. You only get these if your use case calls for something like these (running/cycling outside for instance, or at work). I suppose it could also help if you have some types of hearing impairment.

Aftershokz also sell swimming ones which I haven't tried but they're not BT cause BT doesn't go through water. I have used mine in the shower though, they're still water resistant that way. I could take them to the pool as well though not sure how well they'd work for swimming.

Reply #6
These are headphones with bone conduction technology, sound is transmitted by vibrating the temporal bone of the human skull, leaving the outer ear canal open. Sound through vibrations is directly transmitted to the inner ear through the bone.
~ https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ludbeat-bone-conduction-wireless-headphones#/
Anyone used bone conduction headphones? I wonder are these really safer?

I purchase before two weeks cheap Chinese Bone Conduction Headphones, it's about 25 dollars.
Sound quality awful for music, and if you have problem with teeth, those vibrations on the bones make you feel not comfortable.
Bone Conduction Headphones still in development, my suggestion, use Bone Conduction Headphones for audio books because they have boosted bass, but high frequencies are cut off.
Their operation frequencies - from 40 hz up to 3 khz, something like that.
And yes, they are safer.