Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is there a way to monitor the output of an audio player? (Read 2102 times) previous topic - next topic

is there a way to monitor the output of an audio player?

Hi
first i'm a novice and just for knowledge and test purpose

according my ears , several audio players do sound different on the same hardware
i tried foobar + wasapi (event) "no dsp " , musicbee wasapi event , aimp wasapi event and under sierra audirvana plus 3

at the beginning i wanted to use Voxengo SPAN via vst but audirvana doesn't let using vst , again i'm a novice , but

i have tried for many times the same album in flac 44.1 ripped with eac and played with foobar 1.4 wasapi event and audirvana plus 3 under sierra and high sierra
i'm talking about my ears , for my ears the same album played under w10 and foobar sounds clean ,cold and with more "treble" , audirvana again for my ears sound more deep

so is there a way to monitor the audio player output?
do sombody tried it?
thanks
sorry for my poor english

Re: is there a way to monitor the output of an audio player?

Reply #1
You can use virtual sound card and some audio editor to record output from player. For windows there are free Virtual audio cable and free Audacity.

Reply #2
You can use virtual sound card and some audio editor to record output from player. For windows there are free Virtual audio cable and free Audacity.
hi
sadly i don't how can i do with audirvana
under windows it does install a driver

have you tried to monitor audio players output?
thanks

Reply #3
in Windows there's WASAPI loopback device, just record from it. no special software needed.
you can use Audacity to record.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #4
in Windows there's WASAPI loopback device, just record from it. no special software needed.
you can use Audacity to record.
hi
but i can not play foobar+wasapi event and record with audacity with wasapi loopback

thanks

Reply #5
For Mac there exist Jack and Soundflower

Reply #6
AFAIK, when you use kernel mode driver (WASAPI Exclusive, native ASIO or WDM/KS) as output device in Foobar you are (normally) not allowed to access the device simultaenously by some other software if you go through DAC --> instead, if you use S/PDIF output you be able to capture (using S/PDIF loop cable or 2nd HW device) the output from there to some recording software for comparison (I would use some multitrack recording software (BandLab Sonar is free https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk ),  sync the recorded tracks , compare two recordings at once by inverting the phase of the other track (silence is 1:1)).