Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: GNU/Linux native apps that support flac w/ cuesheets? (Read 5418 times) previous topic - next topic

GNU/Linux native apps that support flac w/ cuesheets?

I'm looking for a set of applications to use in Ubuntu that support FLAC with cuesheets.  In windows, I used wavpack, but lack of linux support is making me consider other options.  To rip, I plan on using abcde (a better cd encoder), unless someone knows of a better option.  I'm still looking for how I would transcode those flac images to individual ogg or mp3 track files.

I have been using EasyTAG, and plan to continue using it... its great.

I would also want to find a cd burner that would be able to burn my flac images onto audio cd's.  I've heard that GnomeBaker can do this, but I haven't tried it out yet.  is it my only option?

Any suggestions or discussion would be highly welcomed.    Thanks.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #1
I was under the impression that Quod Libet does this, but I've never tried to use it, I'm running Windows at the minute and the website doesn't actually mention it. In which case you may be out of luck; LAMIP was looking hopeful but I don't see many updates to it. I'm sure someone will code a plugin for one of the bigger players if you ask through official channels.

Reply #2
LAMIP has many updates, but right now everything is in SVN for a 0.0.4/1.0.0 release

K3B has excellent (ripping,burning,etc) support for cuesheets - it is an EAC+NERO replacement for linux (mostly)

later

Reply #3
hmm, it looks like lamip development is coming along nicely.  last time i checked it out, it still seemed alittle too... under development, and alittle too hardcore for my feeble and newly found linux using skills.  i'll probably check it out once 1.0.0 is out and accessible.

k3b looks nice, but i was hoping to find a gnome based app.  does k3b have alot of KDE dependencies?  i try to keep my system as tidy as possible...

Reply #4
I still can't find any really usable linux player with embedded CUE sheet support in FLAC (either as comment or as FLAC's metadata). And I reconverted all my FLAC images in FLAC tracks for the playback.

But if you want just transcode FLAC image to individual .ogg or .mp3 tracks you may write simple script using metaflac (to get total tracks number) and something like "flac -s -d -c --cue <X>.1-<X+1>.1 image.flac | oggenc -o X.ogg -" (in cycle for each track X for real decoding/encoding on-the-fly) or to use foobar2000 under wine (works fine for such actions as converting and replaygain calculation out of box).

For ripping I'm using EAC under wine but early I used cdparanoia command line tool (it also supports read offset correction, see man) and cdrdao + cueconvert for CUE sheet generation. But it's more command-line oriented way, may be a little complicated for a new linux user.

Reply #5
LAMIP has many updates, but right now everything is in SVN for a 0.0.4/1.0.0 release

Oh OK, that's great news then! Provided it supports JACK, that is...

Reply #6
Oh OK, that's great news then! Provided it supports JACK, that is...

according to lamip's about page, the jack output plugin is "on work."  its available for download on the download page.

Reply #7
I never got LAMIP up and running anyway, despite lots of effort trying to compile it. Thanks for the link though

Reply #8
i package LAMIP at RareWares/Debian

Reply #9
i package LAMIP at RareWares/Debian

any idea when a deb for the new release will be out/available?

Reply #10
when i know... i'll let you know

i hope it is soon, too.

later

Reply #11
To respond to your CD Burning program question, I've messed around a little bit w/Brasero (formerly known as Bonfire) and noticed that it will use cue-sheets as input. Whether that refers to audio cue-sheets or not, I've yet to have a reason to figure out.

It wasn't too much of a beast to install on Ubuntu, but I did have to work at it a little bit.

-- Vir

Reply #12
I guess I'm in the same boat as VCSkier. I use WavPack on Windows and really don't care for the idea of going through all my CDs and re-encoding them. I'm reading on the WavPack website that Quod Libet will play them with a plugin. I'm so going to have to try that program out.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Foobar didn't work at all in Wine, but if it does, that's a nice solution as far as replaygain and conversion to mp3 goes. Though I'd still like a native Linux app that would do all of this.

-- Vir

Reply #13
I'm considering not using FLAC images anymore, but using FLAC track files instead.  I would just have to keep the cuesheets then, for re-ripping purposes.  Its not quite as clean as images w/ embedded cuesheets, but in function, everything should work just fine, and it would them be much easier to find compatible applications.

For the purpose of transcoding my FLAC's to mp3's, I found a cool, simple little application called "SoundConverter."  It's based off of gstreamer, and supports all files that gstreamer supports.  If I'm using FLAC track-files, it should be able to convert them to lame mp3's just fine, but I don't think my gstreamer is using lame 3.97.  I believe it's using 3.96.1 instead.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the version of LAME that gstreamer uses, or of another way I could convert FLAC tracks to LAME mp3's, maintaining directory structure and tags?  Thanks.

Reply #15
I have been trying to encode and transcode using embedded cue sheets under Linux. It seems to be the most secure way of backing up CD's. I reckon the problems with playing and transcoding will become less as more people play with this format. For now there is an XMMS plugin that is based on the cdread plugin that is able to read FLAC files with embedded cue sheets. I have tried this on edgy and it seems to work OK. It is not readily available, but you can find more information here

Ripping, CDDB lookup, cue generation, embedding,  encoding and decoding can be done with abcde as can trancoding the FLAC single file to another format such as ogg, mp3 etc. It will retain tags.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021