Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Verbatim DataLife Plus (SuperAzo) (Read 22440 times) previous topic - next topic

Verbatim DataLife Plus (SuperAzo)

Reply #25
Umm my HDD is 6 years old and still operates perfectly. Not a single bad block and I use it about 9 to 12 hours a day.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st34321a.html

any tips on how to make HDD live longer?

Don't turn them on and off often (and don't enable the "Turn off hard disks" option in the Windows Power Options).

Reply #26
same here - my IBM DJNA 13GB (about 5 years old) hdd is still running and in use 16hours per day on average. Just imagine the lifespan, if it would just be a backup-hdd which is only plugged in for transfering data.

My 2 hints about increasing the lifespan of a hdd would be:
- on win32, defragment your hdd, make the swapfile being rewritten at a FIXED size (this also increases general speed of windows)
- on win32, defragment weekly BUT only defragment the files (do not do space-optimization). Defragmenting without space-optimization happens much faster(on my system on a NTFS-partition in less than a minute) so it stresses the hdd much less. Of course for this to work you need an app which supports to only defragment files without doing space-optimization. You can still do space-optimization in larger intervals(like, every 2-3 months).

To stay on-topic: i decided to switch from verbatim superazo to tayo yuden and just ordered 100 Plextor CDRs. The disadvantage is that in germany, you can get verbatims almost everywhere, but getting plextor or fuji made in japan is difficult unless you do a mail-order.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #27
To stay on-topic: i decided to switch from verbatim superazo to tayo yuden and just ordered 100 Plextor CDRs. The disadvantage is that in germany, you can get verbatims almost everywhere, but getting plextor or fuji made in japan is difficult unless you do a mail-order.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231820"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Saturn sells Fuji CD-Rs and DVD-Rs made in Japan (at least here in Karlsruhe).

Reply #28
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231820"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Saturn sells Fuji CD-Rs and DVD-Rs made in Japan (at least here in Karlsruhe).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231821"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for the hint - i didn't think about saturn - probably too obvious ;-) Do they sell them in jewel-cases only, or spindles as well? (no need for cases since i'm storing all of my CD-Rs in wallets anyways).

Reply #30
PIO 2001
wow, ,u have 2 5 year-old HDDs which are still alive

My first WDC HDD, 20GB died after 1 and a half year, so I never trust HDD anymore.......

any tips on how to make HDD live longer?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231806"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In another PC, i have an old 4 GB IBM, a 5 GB WD and 8 GB Maxtor, they all still run well. For a long lifetime, make sure to have good case ventilation. The higher the temps, the lower the lifetime (statistically).

Reply #31
sorry for going kinda off topic.
but how many c1 are considere at maximum for at "god" burn

so far I'm keeping the disc as long as there are not c2 errors (testing just after  burning) for my long storage burnings

--  edit --

I must be blind :-)
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #33
How do i Defrag without space optimization?

I always use the defrag program integrated with WinXP
are there any recommendations?
I though defrag will hurt HDD more bcoz ddefrag means more read and write, that means shorter life?

Back to topic......Verbatim
DLP made in singapore: real mitsubishi discs.
DLP made in mexico: real mitsubishi discs.
DLP made in Taiwan: mitsubishi dye and ATIP, but made by CMC.
DLP made in India: mitsubishi dye and ATIP, but made by moser baer.
DLP made in EU: rumours is that these is made at the old Kodak factory
in Ireland - but it may also be moser baer manufactured.

DL made in taiwan: CMC all the way - not good.
DL made in China: CMC - not good.
DL made in china, type 2: misleading label as I'm pretty sure these is
actually made in Mexico and is real mitsubishi discs.
DL made in Japan: Taiyo Yuden - the best you could get.
DL made in India: Moser Baer - ok, but not more.
DL made in EU: Moser Baer - ok, but not more.

after "google"ing
I found out that not all MCC dye are from MCC factories
some of them are made by Moser Baer, India and CMC Magnetics, Taiwan
Moser Baer and CMC will use the similar dye and ATIP from MCC,
they will pay toll to Mitsubishi for dye and ATIP
and these disc are sold as Verbatim DataLifePlus too!

They are said to have good quality control by Mitsubishi but who
can guarantee this? CMC is well known for producing worst
quality CD-Rs!

Is it logical to say that one of the cause that some of
the "Mitsubishi Azo" discs are not as good as they should be
bcoz they are mannufactured by other factories than Mitsibishi?

Reply #34
I tried to write another Verbatim DLP (MCC Superazo)
I write the disc at 32X instead of 40X or
the manufacturer rated 52X
this time i tried to write a self-compile 80:43 Audio CD!

the result is really good,
even the overburnt part is free from C2
when read with samsung which hates to read CD-R.

i think Verbatim is best to be burnt at 32X with my
writer and 40X with member "Sven-Bent"Lite-On liteon52327s

the 52X rated by Verbatim is obviously too high, expensive drives like
Plextor might be able handle them at this high speed,
but not all burner can do this, Verbatim should have rated their disc
32~40X

Reply #35
Jewel case = Made in Japan
Spindle = Made in Germany
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231831"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't make it a rule of thumb.
Here in Planet Saturn shop (Lyon, France), Jewel Case Fuji are made in Germany, and I can't burn them properly.

Reply #36
Jewel case = Made in Japan
Spindle = Made in Germany
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231831"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't make it a rule of thumb.
Here in Planet Saturn shop (Lyon, France), Jewel Case Fuji are made in Germany, and I can't burn them properly.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233215"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bummer!

Reply #38
C1 Error Scans for 48x VDLP

Code: [Select]
Verbatim Datalifeplus 
Super AZO Crystal
48x    
Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation    
94:34:23  ( -11077 )    79:59:73  ( 359848 )    
Metal AZO / Cyanine

CDR Drive: Toshiba 24x    
Burnt at: 24x    
Max C1: 11    
Average C1: 0.231    

CDR Drive: Lite-on 52x    
Burnt at: 48x    
Max C1: 7    
Average C1: 0.187

= good enough for Lev.

Reply #39
I used only Mitsui Media CDRs, one of the most reliable brand with Kodak and Tayo Yuden. Nearly all of them, about 40 out of 50 , were completely dead after 4 years, from three different storage locations.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231403"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pio, you give Lyon very poor publicity
=)

C1 Error Scans for 48x VDLP

*snip*

Lev, these numbers are not very useful without the total C1 counts and stating the program they were obtained with. But no C2s is a good start.

Reply #40
Don't worry, you can also get Tayo Yuden Fuji Spindles  : http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7280
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233240"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for the info. However, i will probably stay with plextor - more easy than all the hassle to identify other brands as TY. For the extra-ease i'm willing to pay a few euro more.

Reply #41
Don't worry, you can also get Tayo Yuden Fuji Spindles  : http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7280[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233240"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, like any info, about anything in the computer world would still be valid two years later.  Let alone something as volatile as OEM branding of optical media.

You can, however, buy TY media here: www.rima.com

-- Rick

----
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Moderation: removed long off-topic signature.[/span]
------- Rick -------
--------------------

Reply #42
CDR-Writer: AOpen CRW5232 (2 months old, so its brandnew)
Write-Speed: 32x
Burn-App: Burnatonce 0.99.5

All 3 CDRs were written using the same data & settings. My drive does not support C1-error reporting. The CDRs were scanned with CDSpeed immediatelly after burning.

My first Plextor-CDR (Tayo Yuden):
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ype=post&id=911

Okay, maybe i just had bad luck, so lets try another one - notice the higher scale:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ype=post&id=912

No thanks to tayo yuden for me. So i went into a shop and bought a spindle of Verbatim DatalifePlus SuperAzo's:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ype=post&id=913

I will return my mailordered Plextor-CDRs and ask them to give me my money back.
- Lyx

Reply #43
CDR-Writer: AOpen CRW5232 (2 months old, so its brandnew)
Write-Speed: 32x
Burn-App: Burnatonce 0.99.5

No thanks to tayo yuden for me. So i went into a shop and bought a spindle of Verbatim DatalifePlus SuperAzo's:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ype=post&id=913

I will return my mailordered Plextor-CDRs and ask them to give me my money back.
- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234859"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you try scanning them at lower speed yet ?
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #44
I will return my mailordered Plextor-CDRs and ask them to give me my money back.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234859"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's no secret that different drive manufacturers produce drives that work better with one media type, or another.  If AOpen doesn't have good results with TY, then you're doing exactly the right thing...

-- Rick

----
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Moderation: removed long off-topic signature.[/span]
------- Rick -------
--------------------

Reply #45
Did you try scanning them at lower speed yet ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234862"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As soon as i go below 12x scanspeed, the errors disappear - however, the speed really goes down below 1x at the places where the C2 errors are displayed when scanned at higher speeds.

Reply #46
As soon as i go below 12x scanspeed, the errors disappear - however, the speed really goes down below 1x at the places where the C2 errors are displayed when scanned at higher speeds.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234867"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I sometimes do experience this behaviour, too ... there seem to be some drives (including my LiteOn 52246S CDRW) that have problems reading parts of TY discs at higher speeds - might be a problem of low reflexivity or jitter peaks.

It would be interesting to see how these test discs of yours perform with plextools q-check feature ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #47
Bad results with Taiyo Yuden media are a pretty good indication there is something amiss with the burner's firmware.

Have a look at the test archive at CD Freaks - out of some 50+ entries there are only two entries reporting C2 errors (not counting rdgrimes' buggy drive that will always report 100 C2 in the middle of the disc). Of those, one is put down to the drive's fault by the author. Rather conclusive evidence.

Besides, you cannot see the C1 counts on those Verbatims - and those are typically several times those of the Taiyos.

Still, Verbatim DLP is pretty decent media if you don't push it too hard. Despite being "52x drive approved" it craps out at 52x on both of my Plextors, but results at lower speeds are encouraging. When I'm done with my tests, expect to see some new entries at the above-mentioned archive.

edit: a typo

Reply #48
Bad results with Taiyo Yuden media are a pretty good indication there is something amiss with the burner's firmware.

I updated my firmware just 1 week ago.

- Lyx

Reply #49
Well, I guess you are stuck with Verbatims then.
=)