Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No sound at all (Read 3564 times) previous topic - next topic

No sound at all

My brother bought the new album, Show Up by Joey Yung in Hong Kong. This is the first copy-protected CD from her, and my brother doesn't care at all--he even bought another copy for a friend 

He asked me to rip it for him, and when I rip in secure mode in EAC, the first row of error lights light up constantly but speeds by quickly enough--consistent with reported behaviour for CDS200 or sth (CD drive: '*()&^' EAC: what? CD drive: '*()&^' EAC: say what? CD drive: yes '*()&^' EAC: I don't believe you!

But the incredible part is that I can't hear anything from the ripped wav--no distorted music, no clicks, nothing  is that normal for CDS200 or some kind of uber l33t new copy protection technology?

No sound at all

Reply #1
...and my brother doesn't care at all--he even bought another copy for a friend

Tell your brother to start caring if he, at the same time, wants to have it ripped. The more we tolerate the worse for us.

No sound at all

Reply #4
Of course it is! Read the news to get informed:
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/08/encrypt.html

Oh no not again!! 

You won't get me this time. 

He got you with that before, too?  Good...I wasn't the only one! 

No sound at all

Reply #5
Joe Bloggs, did you try ripping in burst mode or synchronized mode by any chance? I have gotten oddball results using EAC in secure mode for ripping some copy protected CDs, although I never got silent tracks. Burst mode helped sometimes, as well as synchronized mode.

No sound at all

Reply #6
some kind of uber l33t new copy protection technology?

Of course it is! Read the news to get informed:
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/08/encrypt.html

I think the 2001/08 part of the URL is starting to give that one away...

No sound at all

Reply #7
Don't worry:

"I give it 3 months before you start seeing rips of these silent CDs on Morpheus," said GyR8. 
After that you will probably be able to rip those cd's...

No sound at all

Reply #8
Well the same strange thing happened to me once. Ripped Cranberries - Bury the Hatchet with a Sanyo cd-rom and burned with a HP 8200 burner. Silence. Then ripped the same thing with hp and it worked fine

No sound at all

Reply #9
If EAC rips silence, try setting the correct read command instead of using "autodetect" ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

No sound at all

Reply #10
With my Plextor 121032A I got gaps of silence in some tracks with CDS protected CDs. Lowering extraction speed (lowest possible - here 4x) helped - I think you should try this. Using burst mode additionally is worth a try too. If you can't set lower speeds in EAC with your drive try Nero Drive Speed or CDBremse to adjust speed.

If you rip such a disk in secure mode turning off C2 will make your drive's life easier (and probably longer).

If nothing helps I'd try with other drives.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello