Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to encode WAV to an MP3 file with libmp3lame/lavf libs? (Read 3538 times) previous topic - next topic

How to encode WAV to an MP3 file with libmp3lame/lavf libs?

Hello guys.

Im having huge difficulties with a encoding file/batch encoding multiple files at once from source audio file which is a WAV file to an mp3 lossy format. I want to do a very specific thing.

Is it possible with ffmpeg libraries to encode WAV file to MP3 320cbr stereo or joint stereo with build in libmp3lame/lavformat? Every time output file is encoded using lavc instead lavf. If not using ffmpeg maybe some other way, actually any way that's its available to use.

Somehow it must be possible because google play store encodes that way i supose.

The reason im asking here is that its whats foobar2000 player displays. I hope you will be able to help me out.

Please have a look at the file i have attached. Tool: lavf | This is what foobar2000 says.

The reason im asking here is that its whats foobar2000 player displays. I hope you will be able to help me out.

Re: How to encode WAV to an MP3 file with libmp3lame/lavf libs?

Reply #1
The file you see in the screenshot is some random file i obtained from google play (Tool: Lavf)
What i want to know is how to encode a WAV file i extracted from CD to MP3, and encode it same way as google does.

Reply #2
Build custom ffmpeg binary that uses the string you want. But what's the point for doing this? You think ffmpeg is somehow better than the official lame encoder?

Reply #3
Google Play mp3 files are encoded with very low quality as for 320 CBR. Cut offs are lower than on files taken from Beatport or Juno. Bitrate and tool by name is not everything. In LAME you have all those -q settings, which can alter encoding speed (giving better quality) or alter quality (giving better encoding speed). And it seems google prefers fastest encoding and doesn't care about quality at all. Beatport seems to provide what you can reach at home, tweaking settings in codec's commandline. Or at least they just keep proper (good) balance between quality and encoding workload. Not google.

Reply #4
Guys i know how LAME is better and i often use it.
Dont ask my why im interested in this. Just help me achieve my goal.
Somehow google encodes their files with lame 3.99.5 (not 3.99r) and outcome  is :lavf
Now im struggling with how to enforce my WAV file to use 3.99.5 instead 3.99r
It's all about how programs (mediainfo, foobar2000, encspot pro and similar) sees the file.

Reply #5
Google uses their own software. Pretty sure the tool field is indeed just hardcoded to say that info instead of giving more accurate version details. If you shared a sample file someone could probably answer where the 3.99.5 version string comes from.