Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with EAC command line for LAME (Read 8565 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with EAC command line for LAME

I suck at command lines in general but I need some help here.

I followed this guide to setting up EAC to rip my CD collection to FLAC. - https://flacfan.com/posts/how-to-rip-cds-perfectly-on-windows-using-exact-audio-copy-eac-part-1-setup/

Guide worked great and it seems like everything is correct (let me know if anyone disagrees). The command line I was using for FLAC is;

-8 -V -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "PERFORMER=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "COMMENT=%comment%" %source% -o %dest%

It works and it seems to bring the correct metadata to the file.

BUT. I also at the same time want to rip my discs to something like 320 mp3 for ease of use in my car or if my wife or someone wants to use them. Of course I could convert the FLAC to mp3 but I figure while the disc is still in I might as well rip a 320 version as well.

So I used the setup in the above guide on a new profile in EAC but in the "Compression Options" I changed the user defined encoder to LAME. The problem is with the command line. If I try to copy/paste the previous FLAC command line to my LAME/mp3 profile, but just change the beginning like this;

-b 320 -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "PERFORMER=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "COMMENT=%comment%" %source% -o %dest%

It returns an error that says - C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\Lame\lame.exe: excess arg ARTIST=Track Artist

And I really dont understand why I am getting this error.

If I just use the command line; -b 320 %source% , this works fine but the album artist field doesn't transfer

Can anyone help me?

Re: Help with EAC command line for LAME

Reply #1
If I just use the command line; -b 320 %source% , this works fine but the album artist field doesn't transfer
EAC > Compression options > External Compression > (x) Add ID3 tag

Don't do this for FLAC.  Use the commandline you already have.  As you discovered, you can delete the "-o %dest%" at the end.

Reply #2
Ya in my FLAC profile I leave "Add ID3 Tag" UNCHECKED.

In my MP3 profile I have it checked.

I tried to delete the "-o %dest%" at  the end of my command line in my MP3/Lame profile but I still get the same error - excess arg ARTIST=Track Artist.

I get the error whether or not the Add ID3 Tag is checked or not.

Reply #3
With the "Add ID3 tag" option checked, just use the commandline: -b 320 %source%

Reply #4
No thats fine and it works but then for some reason it doesn't transfer the "Album Artist" data.

Its not the end of the world but it would be nice if I could get that to work.

Reply #5
Ah, I got it: only the one tag is causing a problem.  See here for an option:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/622132/how-to-write-album-artist-id3-tag-using-lame

If you do this, you may need to switch "Add ID3 tag" off and create tags in the commandline similar to what you are doing with FLAC.  Maybe try leaving it checked and just writing the ALBUMARTIST tag via commandline to see if that works.  Going to be something like:
-b 320 --tv TPE2=%albumartist% %source%

Reply #6
Holy shit I got it.

Yes I left Add ID3 checked and I made the command line -

-b 320 --tv "TPE2=%albumartist%" %source%

Works great. Thank you.

Now I have about 500 CDs to rip :((((

Reply #7
Have fun.  If I had this task ahead of me, I'd rip to FLAC and bulk convert to MP3 when done.  Sure to be faster and less manual labor than ripping each CD twice.  Glad we solved your problem.

NOTE: Somewhere there is a program that, when used with EAC, will encode more than one format at a time.  I think it is called MAREO; search for it.