Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to encode 5.1 FLAC with QAAC ? (Read 2393 times) previous topic - next topic

How to encode 5.1 FLAC with QAAC ?

I want to encode some multichannel 5.1 FLAC files to m4a with QAAC.
I don't know the commands.

Right now I'm using this:
Code: [Select]
--ignorelength -s --no-optimize -V 127 -o %d -

I'm pretty sure this commands are for STEREO encoding.
What should I add to this command ?

Re: How to encode 5.1 FLAC with QAAC ?

Reply #1
The VBR setting you appear to be using would be quality based, which scales depending on the channel count.

Reply #2
I'm pretty sure this commands are for STEREO encoding.

Have you given it a try as-is and seen what the output looks like?  https://github.com/nu774/qaac/wiki/Multichannel--handling .  Also from qaac command line options:

--chanmap    Rearrange input channels to the specified order.
                       Example:
                         --chanmap 2,1 -> swap L and R.
                         --chanmap 2,3,1 -> C+L+R -> L+R+C.
--chanmask          Force input channel mask(bitmap).
                       Either decimal or hex number with 0x prefix
                       can be used.
                       When 0 is given, qaac works as if no channel mask is
                       present in the source and picks default layout.

And as kode54 indicated:  "True Variable Bitrate gives you a specific quality. The bitrate is free to vary as much as necessary, and generally the more channels, the higher the bitrate, as you're specifying a quality regardless of the channel count. All the other encoding modes let you control the bitrate in some way, but the selected bitrate is not directly related to quality." (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/378450-Best-settings-for-QAAC#post2444452)

Reply #3
Chanmask should be handled automatically under foobar2000 anyway, as foobar emits WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE with a channel mask field.