Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sudden crash with a perfectly stable config, foobar won't restart (Read 1096 times) previous topic - next topic

Sudden crash with a perfectly stable config, foobar won't restart

Hi, thanks in advance for your help. I will post additional info if required, but here's the essential part IMHO.

I have a perfectly stable config that I've been using for months without any changes. Among its components, it has the m-TAGS component.

Today, while doing a routine m-TAGS update ("create tags in the same folder"), foobar suddenly freezed, so I had to close it.
Since then, it just refuses to restart :
- In normal mode (it systematically freezes before the startup process is over, so I can't access the console or anything)
- In troubleshooting mode (it freezes too)

In safe mode it doesn't freeze... but that's useless to me, since like I said the config has always been perfectly stable, so the goal for me is not to look for a faulty component.

I have been to the Crash Reports folder, but there is a single crash report and it's an old one, so I don't have any crash report to show at the moment.

My guess is that there's a corrupted file somewhere that is preventing foobar from starting. Can somebody please help ? Thanks !

Please note that I have foo_jesus installed, so maybe there's a backup that we can resort to ? It seems that I have two suitable backups : autobackup.20200116-094318.zip (created less than an hour before the crash apparently) and autobackup.20200111-183757.zip.

Here's the list of components obtained in safe mode :

Code: [Select]
Core (2019-03-11 14:06:10 UTC)
    foobar2000 core 1.4.3
foo_acfu.dll
foo_albumlist.dll
foo_dynfil.dll
foo_facets.dll
foo_fileops.dll
foo_input_ffmpeg.dll
foo_input_std.dll (2019-03-11 14:06:02 UTC)
    FFmpeg Decoders 3.4.5
    Standard Input Array 1.4.3
foo_jesus.dll
foo_jscript_panel.dll
foo_masstag.dll
foo_plorg.dll
foo_preview.dll
foo_run.dll
foo_spider_monkey_panel.dll
foo_tags.dll
foo_textdisplay.dll
foo_texttools.dll
foo_ui_std.dll (2019-03-11 14:05:46 UTC)
    Default User Interface 1.4.3
foo_uie_esplaylist.dll

Re: Sudden crash with a perfectly stable config, foobar won't restart

Reply #1
Small update : I tried a restore from foo_jesus and so far it seems to work. Thank you @Yirkha for that ! :)

Reply #2
Would be a good time to double-check foo_jesus is actually backing up all the files and folders you would need for a full restore (e.g. playlists-v1.4 folder is not backed up by default).

You might want to adjust the number of replicas and frequency of backups as well. Better be safe than sorry.

Reply #3
Thank you Daeron. Yes, I have thought of that and the numbers are adjusted accordingly. :)

The files & folders are as follows :
- Folders : configuration / index-data / playlists / playlists-v1.3 / playlists-v1.4
- Files : theme.fth

There is just one thing that puzzles me :

As you can see, the "no more than X minutes" line is set to 1440, so that there is at least one backup a day (provided foobar is running of course).
However, my last two backups are january 16 and january 11. Which is weird because I believe I use foobar every day or so.
I guess I'll have to check tomorrow if a new backup appears or not.

Reply #4
My guess would be that the timer doesn't have a chance to trigger unless you run foobar for 24 hours straight. Assuming the fault lies in the component itself and it's not some entirely unrelated reason you are lacking the backups.

You can use wildcards like playlist* to back up the corresponding folders. You probably don't need playlists and playlist-v1.3 while 1.4 is present (I don't have them).

I personally increased the number of copies by quite a lot, after having lost some data due corruption and have not noticed it until a couple of days (by then all the good backups got overwritten).

Reply #5
Interesting. Is @Yirkha still around so he can tell us more about that 24 hours thing ?
I thought the component would just compare the current time to the last backup time, but if it's not the case, then I'll need to find another solution (unless Yirkha fixes it or introduces such functionality).

All right, advice taken : I'm increasing the number of copies. They don't take much space anyway.

Reply #6
Small update :
Code: [Select]
Autosaving... (A)
Configuration saved in: 0:00.362094
Autobackup: Backed up 282 items to autobackup.20200117-121028.zip
Here are my two last autobackups :
  • autobackup.20200116-094318.zip
  • autobackup.20200117-121028.zip
Indeed we can see that there are more than 24h between them, even though my foobar was on since yesterday.

Which means that foo_jesus doesn't compare "current time vs. last backup time" (otherwise foo_jesus should have been triggered @ 9:43 this morning).
Rather it counts "current foobar run-up time" until it reaches X minutes ?

Which means that the prefs assertion "no more than X minutes since last autosave" is wrong, sorry.
And I don't know how to do, if I use foobar every day or so but only for small periods of time.

Reply #7
If your goal is having at least one save per day, you could perhaps set "on startup, after X minutes" to a low number and "always, no more than X" to somewhat high.

Assuming you turn on your PC roughly once per day.