Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burning 5.1 album to DVD using LPLEX (Read 5894 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Burning 5.1 album to DVD using LPLEX

Reply #25
I'll certainly try - can you recommend any trimmer software to use? where would be the best option to upload it to? thanks.
It's been a long time since I've done anything more than basic transcoding of 5.1 audio, so I'm afraid I don't remember any of the tools I tried or which one I liked! But, the tool you're using for resampling might also include a trimming function.

by the way I've used a few different players - potplayer for the input audio and vlc with 5.1 settings for the iso, as potplayer doesnt play .iso's
What happens if you play the input audio using VLC?

Reply #26
If you want 5.1 DVD you are stuck with lossy AC3 at 448 kbit/s.
I heard it was possible to use full 640 kbit/s by some "hacking" but compatibility is not guaranteed.

If you want uncompressed 5.1 audio you will need to use Blu-ray.
Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA are optional, so you will have to use LCPM.

Last but not least, you will need receiver that supports lossless LPCM over HDMI.
Older receivers will only have optical (Toslink) and RCA (S/PDIF) inputs so you will be stuck with AC3.
Or you can use Blu-ray player with dedicated RCA outputs to feed receiver with analog sound.

To be honest, I would just say fuck it... Use USB flash drive or simply burn data CD/DVD.
If you are running low on space you can use FLAC and/or convert everything into 16/44 or 24/48...
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #27
If you want 5.1 DVD you are stuck with lossy AC3 at 448 kbit/s.
Where did you hear that? DVD supports 5.1 PCM just fine, as long as you choose a bit depth and sample rate to stay within 6144 kbps. For example, 16 bits and 48 kHz adds up to 4608 kbps. Hardly anyone does this because it limits the video bitrate: with 4608 kbps audio, your video would be limited to about 5400 kbps, which is too low for much beyond still images.

Reply #28
Where did you hear that? DVD supports 5.1 PCM just fine.

Nice. Now check the back panel of most DVD players. You will see single optical and/or RCA connector. (Not counting 2 stereo RCAs)
Goodbye LPCM, hello AC3 my old reliable friend.
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #29
My DVD player is a Blu-ray player. It has HDMI.

Reply #30
the 5.1 album (of which I own an actual physical copy of the SACD anyway)
SACD. That's DSD. If you can rip them, then that is an audio format you cannot put on a DVD. Of course you can put them as files on a (data-) DVD-R, but I think only a very few all standalone players handle that.

Meaning, you have to process the audio anyway?