Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac tags not displaying (Read 5996 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac tags not displaying

Hi, I am trying to organize my Flac files so that when I load them up in winamp 5 it will display the tag information like Album, genre, title, etc... The problem is I cannot get winamp to display the flac tag information. The file seems to have two tags because when I right-click on a Flac file and select 'edit file info' it shows me different tag information(not sure what kinda of tag this is). I want the file to display the information from the 'view file info' tag which seems to be the Flac tag.

For tagging the Flac files I used a program called Entagged (latest version) and it seems to tag the files and keep that info when i close the program reload it, so I'm assuming the files are being tagged, just winamp doesn't want to display that tag.

I'm also kinda confused over the issue of tagging vs renaming a file to a certain convention lke Genre->Album->Title->Track #. Isn't it pretty much the same thing as tagging a file? As you can see I'm kinda lost, any help is appreciated, thx.

Flac tags not displaying

Reply #1
I think this thread belongs in the lossless audio forums.

Anyway, hullo, welcome to Hydrogenaudio.

FLAC files can have either ID3 tagging (the sort commonly seen on MP3 files) or native tagging (similar to the sort commonly seen on Vorbis files) attached. Newer versions of the FLAC Winamp plugin only support native tagging.

ID3 tagging is still "legal", but it is now discouraged. Deprecated, even. Maybe Entagged only supports ID3?

You might want to convince the maker(s) of Entagged to support native FLAC tagging.

Filenames work, to an extent, but with tagging, you can search the tag contents. With the right software, you can search for all songs by Sheryl Crow that were released in 1996, for example.

Flac tags not displaying

Reply #2
I think this thread belongs in the lossless audio forums.

Anyway, hullo, welcome to Hydrogenaudio.

FLAC files can have either ID3 tagging (the sort commonly seen on MP3 files) or native tagging (similar to the sort commonly seen on Vorbis files) attached. Newer versions of the FLAC Winamp plugin only support native tagging.

ID3 tagging is still "legal", but it is now discouraged. Deprecated, even. Maybe Entagged only supports ID3?

You might want to convince the maker(s) of Entagged to support native FLAC tagging.

Filenames work, to an extent, but with tagging, you can search the tag contents. With the right software, you can search for all songs by Sheryl Crow that were released in 1996, for example.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324956"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Flac tags not displaying

Reply #3
Thanks for the help. I'll try to search for some other program that supports Flac tags.

*** I downloaded a program called tag.exe and ran the following command on a folder of flac files and it says the Tag is Flac. I guess it's something to do with winamp and foobar 2000, because neither program wants to display the tag info when I imprt the music. Anyone know which setting that might be? Thanks in advance.

Flac tags not displaying

Reply #4
Thanks for the help. I'll try to search for some other program that supports Flac tags.

*** I downloaded a program called tag.exe and ran the following command on a folder of flac files and it says the Tag is Flac. I guess it's something to do with winamp and foobar 2000, because neither program wants to display the tag info when I imprt the music. Anyone know which setting that might be? Thanks in advance.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324995"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use Entagged for tagging FLAC files and it uses the "native" format.  I use Winamp to test the tags.

If you continue to have trouble I'd recommend posting at the forums at entagged.sourceforge.net.  Entagged is definitely the easiest to use/best free Windows FLAC GUI tagger I've found so far.

I also use Foobar to encode FLAC files into mp3s, works great.

Flac tags not displaying

Reply #5
Hi, I am trying to organize my Flac files so that when I load them up in winamp 5 it will display the tag information like Album, genre, title, etc... The problem is I cannot get winamp to display the flac tag information.

In the case of WinAMP this is a long standing bug in the official in_flac.dll plugin released with the official FLAC distribution.

A modified plugin which works correctly is availible from

http://www.facquet.com/en/projects-4/winam...ownload-78.html

Since FLAC is under the GPL the author has posted source code for his modifications, any chance of rolling into the mainline flac tree Josh?

Flac tags not displaying

Reply #6
Since FLAC is under the GPL the author has posted source code for his modifications, any chance of rolling into the mainline flac tree Josh?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329315"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yep, on my list.

Josh

Flac tags not displaying

Reply #7
In the case of WinAMP this is a long standing bug in the official in_flac.dll plugin released with the official FLAC distribution.

A modified plugin which works correctly is availible from

http://www.facquet.com/en/projects-4/winam...ownload-78.html

Since FLAC is under the GPL the author has posted source code for his modifications, any chance of rolling into the mainline flac tree Josh?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329315"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Will this fix the problem with the audioscrobbler plugin? They say that it's due to the FLAC plugin not supporting the Winamp Media Library or something so when I play FLAC at home, audioscrobbler can't pick up the tag information from them. Works great for MP3s but not at all for FLAC