Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: whether foobar support mp3pro or not? (Read 6845 times) previous topic - next topic

whether foobar support mp3pro or not?

i want to know whether foobar support mp3pro or not?

i found some players can recognise the mp3pro and the info will show it!

but foobar only show it as mp3!

why? 

does it support inside?

Reply #1
No foobar does not support mp3pro.  would cost lots of $$ to implement.
this thread explains the whole issue with acquiring the sdk to implement mp3pro.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....0&&#entry121057

I am a bit curious how the same technology for decoding he-aac can be given out as free but, you can't use the same(?) sbr to decode mp3pro.  I am sure that somebody else has thought of using the sbr algorithm from he-aac to decode the mp3pro.  But it looks like doing something along those lines would be "hacking" and in the end if it were to work it would most likely be considered "warez" because of circumventing the license that is needed.

I would like to see mp3pro decoding implemented but at $90,000 to purchase the required license, it is a little out of my budget.

Just my thoughts.  Take them for what you will.

Reply #2
why shouldn't somebody write an adapter just like dBpower did to make foobar use winamp plugin?

Reply #3
why would you want to use a buggy piece of software like that?

well it used to be buggy as hell.

mp3 pro is a crappy format anyway, who would want to waste their time on such a shit and expensive format.

vorbis, mpc or lame with -alt presets are much better.

Reply #4
Well, a developer in his free time can always code such a plugin...dunno if it violates FB's SDK or something though.

You'll be better off using HE-AAC though. It beats mp3pro pretty much hands down. I'm not sure if FB supports its decoding though (someone pls confirm), and if it doesn't, you may want to use vorbis, or good old LAME mp3s.

Reply #5
I'm not sure if FB supports its decoding though (someone pls confirm),

It does.  FAAD2 supports decoding of HE AAC, so most players or plugins based upon recent versions should support this also.

Reply #6
Well, a developer in his free time can always code such a plugin...dunno if it violates FB's SDK or something though.

Not necessarily, but it does violate laws of sensibility. Foobar2000 inputs are given their own file reader, while Winamp inputs expect an absolute file path (ANSI) and do their own reading. Plus, Winamp inputs perform decoding in their own thread.

Reply #7
why dbpower can do this?

he can use the winamp plugin.

Reply #8
It might be possible to support mp3PRO with Gracenote Encode, but it's too uninteresting to look into.

Reply #9
why dbpower can do this?

he can use the winamp plugin.

Either he does not support or use Unicode or UTF-8 paths, copies the file to a temporary location for the plug-in, or converts the path to ANSI.

Foobar2000 uses UTF-8 for all file paths, so converting the path for the component would not work if the path contains any foreign characters not included in your system code page.

HTTP reading would most certainly be stupid, since the component expects the URL and will be doing its own stream reading, all while Foobar2000 has its own HTTP reader open on the file and waiting for something to read from it.

Reply #10
en
i see ,  thank you very much!

Reply #11
I'm waiting on a reply from GraceNote on whether they wish to acquire my immortal soul so I can develop such a component based on their library, which is funny, considering I don't actually have any mp3PRO files. Whether they reply, and whether their code will fit properly into the Foobar2000 input model, is another matter entirely.

Reply #12
Thanks for at least looking into it, though.  B)

Reply #13
Any news on this, kode54?

Reply #14
Zero response.

Reply #15
I got a response.

I'll have to agree to a long list of conditions, including the following:
  • Until the "Application" is approved, it can only be activated for use by up to 100 end users
  • After approval, it can be activated by up to 250,000 end users
  • If, for some reason, more than 250,000 people want to play their crappy mp3pro files or streams, I will have to arrange a commercial license.
  • There may be a complication regarding the components that contain FreeDB support, regardless of the fact that I'm not even using or providing any CD identification support
  • Regarding the above, they may ask me to somehow disable all components which use Internet databases other than theirs, never mind that I won't be providing Gracenote DB functionality
Full license agreement. Too bad if GraceNote doesn't like me linking to this page, because they'd rather take two weeks to mail it to people requesting more information.

Reply #16
Thanks for trying Kode54

I pretty much figured you would have to offer your first born and a major body part to get to use it.

Hopefully mp4 (he-aac) will take over and they can stick their list....

Reply #17
  • There may be a complication regarding the components that contain FreeDB support, regardless of the fact that I'm not even using or providing any CD identification support

• Regarding the above, they may ask me to somehow disable all components which use Internet databases other than theirs, never mind that I won't be providing Gracenote DB functionality

You will use the Gracenote ENC Client and the Gracenote CDDB Database as the exclusive source for CD identification and Data when your Licensed Application accesses such information by reading a CD's TOC or disc identification number and retrieves Data or related data via the Internet.

Well, my freedb plugin does not read TOC or disc identification and do not rely on them 

It's obvious in cases when it is used to retrieve info for a bunch of mp3/mpc/ogg or other audio files. In case of cdda:// tracks identification, foo_cdda of course reads TOC but it does not provide this information to other plugins, so again - I do not use it.

Of course IANAL, and they obviously have a few that could slap us 

Reply #18
In case of cdda:// tracks identification, foo_cdda of course reads TOC but it does not provide this information to other plugins

OK, but it provides information derived from TOC blah, blah, blah... So at least cdda identification should be disabled in presence of foo_mp3pro to satisfy Gracenote's license 

Reply #19
Or we can forget this mp3pro nonsense.