Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended MPC settings (Read 447171 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended MPC settings

Reply #150
I'll post what Frank told me three days ago, but it's not good news (at least for MPC). He says, he has no time for programming at the moment, because there's training for sales and distribution of a new Advanced Imaging Microscopy device at his workplace and he gets home late at night each day. I'll ask him for news every now and then and will report back when there's any about MPC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247709"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oooh, that's unfortunate. Well, for us anyways. MPC is such a great format, and I'm actually considering switching to it from lossless. I was considering OptimFrog and WavPack at around 400k to 450k since that would be a decent choice should I ever need to transcode lower (to, for example, a portable), but then the thought popped in my head that if I'm going to go lossy in order to save space, I might as well take it as far as I can. And that would mean MPC IMHO, though I still need to do more transcode tests to be sure. Anyways, don't want to convert anything with 1.14 or 1.15r, so I guess it will have to wait. I don't mind though, real life must always come first and foremost. Hmm, maybe I should donate. Is there a PayPal button somewhere to do so?

Reply #151
Hmm, maybe I should donate. Is there a PayPal button somewhere to do so?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247727"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We already had a donation, and from that money i built him a new PC and ChristianHJW delivered it to him. Because originally, he didn't even have a good development machine and he didn't have time/notion to build one. But since then, his job occupied most of his time and he didn't get around doing e.g. a final SV7 version. It's an unfortunate situation really, and i wish i could do something about it. But all we can do is wait.

But you can use both 1.14 or 1.15r, they are pretty much tried and tested now. There wouldn't be any bigger changes to quality with a final SV7 anyway. It would mostly fix some quite rare bugs and have some usablility improvements, i guess.

Reply #152
It's an unfortunate situation really, and i wish i could do something about it. But all we can do is wait.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247733"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Innocent question: is there no other sound compression guru in the ha.org community, or even in the world, that can take the flag ? After all, that's also what open source is for... A one-manned open-source project is bound to fade away sooner or later...

Reply #153
Has the light at the end of the tunnel grown any? 1.15r seems to be practically the recommended version, even though technically it's not. Would be nice to see something final soon that didn't have the experimental tag. Don't want to use 1.14 either for obvious reasons.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247673"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1.14 doesent give a experimental in tag as 1.15 do,but regardles,my question is that i always rip cds with eac to mpc 1.14b.Where did you find info that 1.15 is better?I simply asking couse in that case i nwould switch to 1.15.I really dont care about that small experimental "glitch"in the tag,so if you know any thread which compare 1.14 and 1.15,please post.I tryed search but nothing good come out..
Or somebody else who tested 1.14 and 1.15>>if he can share his opinion what should be used for encoding,which version i mean..
Thanks in advance!!

Reply #154
Where did you find info that 1.15 is better?

On the musepack.net site it claims that 1.15r "has less problems with highly tonal music compared to 1.14". I know I've seen mention regarding better handling of the higher frequencies as well, but it was a while ago and can't remember where exactly. Perhaps a search might turn up something useful, though I'm not 100% sure if what I read was here or not. Hopefully someone more knowledgable in the ways of MPC will post with the info you desire.

Reply #155
1.15 has a modified tonal estimation model to cope better with samples like 'amnesia'. Quality of 1.15 and 1.14 is similar - some music might be better on 1.15 and vice versa. 1.15r files are +3% larger than 1.14

Reply #156
Thanks.I did a small test with a few files using q5 and all files come out a bit bigger,but really small difference just as you said like difference was 196 to 189kbps.Thanks for clariffication

Reply #157
Great reason today to edit n update the List !
1.15s is out with some bugfixes, and hardcoded --xlevel switch.

The settings recommend adding --xlevel, because of 1.14 beta/stable.
Would this adding hurt 1.15s encodings ?
Will try it later myself.

Reply #158
No.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #159
The settings recommend adding --xlevel, because of 1.14 beta/stable.
Would this adding hurt 1.15s encodings ?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255905"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #160
Is there a switch to produce mono files from stereo input?
Not listed in otherwise excellent --longhelp, nor on http://www.musepack.net.

Reply #161
The link for mpcenc 1.15s seems to be broken.  Any help, Case?

Reply #162
Link fixed.

Reply #163
The link to 1.15s is broken again. The correct would be:
Code: [Select]
http://files.musepack.net/windows/encoder/mppenc-windows-1.15s.zip

Reply #164
Also information on the Winamp plugin is outdated. Latest version is 0.99f and the link should be:
Code: [Select]
http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/mpc/bin/in_mpc_0.99f.exe

Reply #165
Thanks, all fixed.

Reply #166
Following the release of mppenc 1.15t, that encoder is now the new recommended version.

Also, --xlevel has been removed from the command lines, since it's a default setting since mppenc 1.15s.

Reply #167
Following the release of mppenc 1.15t, that encoder is now the new recommended version.

Also, --xlevel has been removed from the command lines, since it's a default setting since mppenc 1.15s.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269052"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think you should mention that the latest stable release does require the xlevel switch to have some clipping prevention.

Reply #168
it's now default

a noxlevel toggle is added for the delirious

later

Reply #169
it's now default

a noxlevel toggle is added for the delirious

later
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269101"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So 1.1 & 1.14b are now preset with xlevel as well?

Reply #170
So 1.1 & 1.14b are now preset with xlevel as well?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269103"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. And you're right, i'll state that more explicitly.

Reply #171
exchanged recommended mpc encoder to 1.15u.
haven't tested myself yet, but it sounds very promising, that recent little bugs are fixed ! mpc is da greatest:)

Reply #172
exchanged recommended mpc encoder to 1.15u.
haven't tested myself yet, but it sounds very promising, that recent little bugs are fixed ! mpc is da greatest:)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277131"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks (would've done it myself otherwise). It has been tested by the development team, and a mail from Frank Klemm today verified that the rare gapless issue was fixed the right way.

Again, 1.15u, despite still having an "alpha" designation, is now recommended over the previous versions including 1.14 beta.

Reply #173
New recommended encoder version: mppenc 1.15v

1.15v thread

The 1.15 alpha codebase has proven itself. With the recent bugfixes, even 1.14 hardliners should consider using the latest 1.15 encoder now.

Reply #174
the links to the zips in the first post seem to be dead

error msg
The requested URL /files/windows/encoder/mppenc-windows-1.15v.zip was not found on
this server

ty

-