Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No News is Bad News? (Read 3351 times) previous topic - next topic

No News is Bad News?

Looking at the news section there seems to have been only 4 news entries in the last 6 months!, go back 5 years and it was one a week, codecs were being updated and invented. Has the audio scene really slowed down that much? programs such as WMP and iTunes dumbed down innovation?

PS this is a personal enquiry and not related to dbpoweramp in any way.

No News is Bad News?

Reply #1
I think it's just quiet in terms of news right now. There are still things happening, just nothing worth posting.

Of course, as our news items are user-submitted, perhaps people are just getting lazy?

I really don't know. Forum use is still pretty active, so it's not like the community is dying or anything.

No News is Bad News?

Reply #2
I agree the forum is busy, perhaps more so than in the past, just devoid of news.

Here are some statistics, news dates back to 2001, period 2001 to 2005 has 39 pages of news (10 pages per year, or 250 submissions per year). 2005 to now is 9 pages...it gets worse...for the last year (almost) are 25 entries, 10x less than 5 or more years ago.

<edit added statistics>

No News is Bad News?

Reply #3
Any news submissions not deemed worthy for validated news are moved to other appropriate forums.  A link to the new location is usually left behind for about a month and then removed.  By "deemed worthy" they need to meet the requirements defined in the topic that is pinned to the top of the forum and if it is software it must be a major, non-beta release.  Personally, I typically only validate software that is either well-known, or has been previously discussed on this forum, indicating that there is interest.  Software that is brand new to this forum is moved to the most appropriate forum, provided the person submitting appears to be clear of TOS #14.

Without going too far into defining policy, I welcome any and all feedback on what should be and what should not be in Validated News.  Please realize that I am only a moderator and ultimately defer to those on the administration staff regarding such matters.