Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Potential serious bug in Apple Lossless codec in iTunes 10 (Read 26632 times) previous topic - next topic

Potential serious bug in Apple Lossless codec in iTunes 10

Reply #25
Yeah, I'm sorry too, Corby. (I think I was typing my stuff when you posted. I should have quoted greynol in my post. I wasn't blowing you off.) You're probably right: I've actually "tested" ALAC files with the original EAC/FLAC cue sheets after I converted them (with dBpoweramp) and put them in the iTunes library. When decompressed to WAV the CD-R I burned matched my previous rips.

@greynol: I've read you before opining that using lossless on portables was silly. I meant to pick your brain on that but never got around to it. I guess I just do it because I can (160 Gb iPod.) Not because I claim  there's some perceptible difference or anything like that. It also makes just another redundant backup of some CDs IMO. ...but I'm interested in your ideas on this as well.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #26
Briefly and not to belabor the point or change the topic I have no objection to those who can demonstrate that they can tell the difference through double-blind testing and are not willing to compromise this difference for increased space.  I see your point as well; 160GB can store a lot of music, even as lossless, and backups are important.

Reply #27
I reported this bug to Apple.
Not really a Signature.

Reply #28
I tried ALAC -> AAC(iTunes Plus).  Sample omission occurs.

Reply #29
Noble Tiger, I don’t suppose this bug has been fixed in the latest update (that you posted about in the iTunes 10 topic)?

Reply #30
No, unfortunately Apple hasn't released a new update to iTunes since I started this thread.  Version 10.0.1.22 came out in late September.

Reply #31
BUG FIXED!

It seems this bug has been fixed with the recent release of iTunes 10.1.0.54.  I just did some tests with WAV to Apple Lossless and back to WAV and  the files are identical in size and binary file comparisons (Using FC.EXE that comes with Windows).  I'm on a Vista 64-bit PC.  Can others confirm this is fixed on other platforms?  Also, can others check if this is fixed with Apple Lossless to AAC as well? (That it doesn't lose a frame)?

Hopefullly all will be well again now in iTunes Losslessland 

Reply #32
Fix confirmed under OS X 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1.54 - ALAC encoded and decoded in iTunes byte-identical to original WAV (using cmp command in Terminal).
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #33
I'm glad they fixed this issue. It was making them look pretty bad, IMO.

(It's too bad they can't "fix" the 32Mb buffer/cache in my 160 Gb iPod Classic too. Then I could actually use ALAC (or WAV/AIFF) without the annoying buffer-pause in nearly every song.)

Reply #34
One of the very reasons I just use iTunes as a media manager - I tend to take an approach that a tool should do a couple of things really well than trying to be everything to everyone. iTunes has turned into this giant monster which is collapsing under its own weight so instead I'll use iTunes to manage my music and sync with my iPod with XLD being used for ripping and encoding.

Reply #35
The problem I see in iTunes is a 96khz-24 bit wav file converted to apple lossles (.m4a) ends up being a 44.khz-16 bit file!
No, no no!

Reply #36
Not reproducible using iTunes 10.1.1 under OS X 10.6.6 - 24/96 WAV in (generated in Audacity) equals 24/96 ALAC out.

It is worth noting, however, that iTunes will not convert that ALAC back to a 24-bit WAV, only 16-bit (it does keep the 96 kHz sample rate, however).

Converting the 24/96 ALAC back to a 24/96 WAV using XLD produces a file that's bit-for-bit identical to the original.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #37
The problem I see in iTunes is a 96khz-24 bit wav file converted to apple lossles (.m4a) ends up being a 44.khz-16 bit file!
No, no no!

I just converted a 24/96 FLAC file to ALAC with dBpowerAMP and added it to iTunes Library. It's still 24/96. If iTunes is doing that with WAV/PCM perhaps you should try doing it as I described?