Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there a gain DSP at all? (Read 2553 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a gain DSP at all?

This may seem like an unusual request but can anyone point me to a simple gain DSP? So far my search has been nil. Basically I’m transcoding my FLAC music library to lossy for playback on portable device, in this case Nexus 7 via dock to headphones. In this configuration I have no volume control capability.

I have a DSP chain that I’m very happy with besides needing a faction more volume. I could modify the replay gain pre-amp value but several albums I have (mostly the older ones) are peak normalized but still require +4dB or more with ReplayGain scan. Hence I’d rather add a gain control right prior to the Advanced Limiter and standardize the ReplayGain and DSP chain settings I have (if that sounds like OCD you’re probably right).

So, is there a gain DSP that allows increase/decrease either as percentage or dB? In this case I’m not concerned about the consequence of volume control within the DSP chain; I'm only looking for a few percent increase.

Edit: Typical. After posting I found qraphic equalizer (xnor) has master gain so will give that a shot.

Reply #1
Why not get a Android music player like Poweramp that supports replaygain and has a pre-amp.

Reply #2
Why not get a Android music player like Poweramp that supports replaygain and has a pre-amp.

Perhaps my description wasn't clear but the audio out of the Nexus 7 dock has no volume control capability regardless of playback app. I think I'll probably grab a battery operated portable headphone amp. The increased gain method is fine for now and if/when I get an amp I can just revert back to ReplayGain level and use the volume control on the amp. It only takes an hour or so to trascode my FLAC library.

Reply #3
I understand that your added gain from the EQ is working fine, but there is scope to use the PreAmp controls to do the same thing with less processor load than an EQ.

I have a DSP chain that I’m very happy with besides needing a faction more volume. I could modify the replay gain pre-amp value but several albums I have (mostly the older ones) are peak normalized but still require +4dB or more with ReplayGain scan. Hence I’d rather add a gain control right prior to the Advanced Limiter and standardize the ReplayGain and DSP chain settings I have (if that sounds like OCD you’re probably right).

The ReplayGain mode can be set to just "Apply Gain" (rather than "Apply Gain and prevent clipping according to peak") which will then allow you to amplify using the PreAmp by up to 20 dB beyond the 89 dB target (and to do similarly with non-RG sources, perhaps at around 7-10 dB less pre-amp). This won't clip internally, thanks to floating point, so the DSPs like Advanced Limiter can then be used to tame the rare peaks when necessary (or if such DSP is omitted, potentially nasty clipping will occur during such peaks upon rendering to fixed-point for the soundcard).
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #4
You should be able to use the Dynamics Compressor DSP for this, without compressing. Set the peak to 100% and turn the other things off, then increase the input gain as needed. Does that sound suitable to your purpose?