Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: De-emphasis components (Read 97905 times) previous topic - next topic

De-emphasis components

Reply #25
just tested with some preemphasis CDs and works like a charm - many thanks for this great and very valuable foobar-component!

this concerns to foo_deemph.dll and NOT to foo_dsp_effect.dll!

De-emphasis components

Reply #26
fair enough.
in the foo_dsp_effect thread, I made a optional download for people that dont want the foo_dsp_effect's deemp postprocessor service.

that way, they can still use the superior component without it interfering.

De-emphasis components

Reply #27
The latest update to foo_dsp_effect has resolved the problem, so I wouldn't call any of them superior now... they're all equally good, IMHO:

original sweep = green
foo_dsp_effect = red
SoX deemph = yellow
WaveEmph = blue

foo_deemph, foo_dsp_deemph, and foo_dsp_convolver all produce results (almost?) identical to that of SoX deemph, so I didn't plot them.

If you want to have a look yourself, the WAVs are in the same folder as the graph.

De-emphasis components

Reply #28
OK, I have the question - what is the practical difference (in usage) between foo_deemph and foo_dsp_deemph ?

De-emphasis components

Reply #29
I highlighted the relevant part in the 1st post with blue color. Or do you want to know something else?

De-emphasis components

Reply #30
That blue text was there before I asked the question? Sorry for bothering you, looks like sometimes I'm blind :/ . That's exactly what I wanted to know. So looks like I need only foo_deemph, not dsp. Thanks.

De-emphasis components

Reply #31
The text was there, the color wasn't 

De-emphasis components

Reply #32
* To de-emphasize a track, add a tag named PRE_EMPHASIS or PRE-EMPHASIS with a value 1, on or yes. Other tracks are unaffected.

Could foo_deemph be made to read 'FLAGS PRE' that already exist in my EAC/Cueripper cue sheets. I ask because I don't believe it is possible for foobar to read 'PRE-EMPHASIS' tag from an external cue sheet, eg, 'REM PRE_EMPHASIS yes'.

De-emphasis components

Reply #33
If all tracks were made with pre-emphasis then you can add PRE-EMPHASIS tag to the image file. (And don't forget to reload tags for the corresponding cue sheet)

De-emphasis components

Reply #35
* To de-emphasize a track, add a tag named PRE_EMPHASIS or PRE-EMPHASIS with a value 1, on or yes. Other tracks are unaffected.

What does "add a tag" specifically mean? I added PRE_EMPHASIS=1 to pre-emphasis wav files via the field option in foobar2000, converted them, then converted another copy of the album using the de-emphasis function in SoX. Results are:

1) fb2k -0.77
2) SoX  -0.03

Obviously, the tag I added with fb2k for the first set of files didn't work. Is the tag the right type of tag? And if it isn't, what's the proper way to tag the files so that the foo_deemph works correctly?
ghostman

De-emphasis components

Reply #36
Added PRE_EMPHASIS to the file names, nothing. Also added it to the tag info of every file name (like 01. trackname.PRE_EMPHASIS.wav), still nothing. I'm starting to think that this plugin doesn't work with the latest fb2k. Going back to command line SoX. At least I know the damn thing works the way it's supposed to!
ghostman

De-emphasis components

Reply #37
you add tags via the properties dialog. highlight playlist items>right click>properties.

now right click a blank area>add new field. give it the name/value as instructed above.

De-emphasis components

Reply #38
Finally got the damn thing to work. The results? Not that great. Of course, being that it replicates what you get in SoX, I'm not surprised. IMO, the de-emphasize feature isn't all that it's cracked up to be. The method that I use, oddly, is based on work that actually improves upon what they've did. It makes Black Sabbath's Preemph "Paranoid" go from sounding like mud (with SoX) to sounding so clear it blows your mind. I forget who I got it from here, but, dude, you've, most definately, got some skills. Whoever you are.
ghostman

De-emphasis components

Reply #39
I have two questions:
  • What does "always active during playback and ReplayGain scan" for the Postprocessing (foo_deemph) version mean? Will ALL files been de-emphasized, even the majority which doesn't need it?
  • Where/How do I add the tag named PRE_EMPHASIS or PRE-EMPHASIS? Do I have to add it only for the dsp version or for both versions (which would answer question 1)?

De-emphasis components

Reply #40
The method that I use, oddly, is based on work that actually improves upon what they've did. It makes Black Sabbath's Preemph "Paranoid" go from sounding like mud (with SoX) to sounding so clear it blows your mind. I forget who I got it from here, but, dude, you've, most definately, got some skills. Whoever you are.

I don't understand. Do you use other component? other DSP? what is the "method that you use"? I'm quite curious

De-emphasis components

Reply #41
Will ALL files been de-emphasized, even the majority which doesn't need it?

No

Where/How do I add the tag named PRE_EMPHASIS or PRE-EMPHASIS? Do I have to add it only for the dsp version or for both versions (which would answer question 1)?

As usual: right click -> Properties; or use any tagging program. For both.

De-emphasis components

Reply #42
... As usual: right click -> Properties; or use any tagging program...

Thank you very much!
So I will use Mp3tag.

BUT:
As far as I understand, you can tag only e.g. .mp3 or .flac files.
How does it work for .wav files?

De-emphasis components

Reply #43
BUT:
As far as I understand, you can tag only e.g. .mp3 or .flac files.
How does it work for .wav files?
Nope, WAV files can be tagged too, although fewer programs support this; foobar2000 became one such program in v1.1.9 (changelog).

De-emphasis components

Reply #44
... WAV files can be tagged too, ...

Thank you very much!

And now one last question:
If I have only lossless sources, what is the advantage/disadvantage of using the Postprocessing or the DSP version?

De-emphasis components

Reply #45
Use postprocessing if you want to add correct ReplayGain tags to your files.
Use DSP if you have lossy files that you want to de-emphasize.
Otherwise, there's no difference.

De-emphasis components

Reply #46
@lvqcl

Thanks for this very interesting alternative. Especially post processing (foo_deemph) plugin. Personally I'm using convolver plugin with loaded De-emphasis impulse files :
Waves_De-Emphasis. I can't remember where did I found this but it contains impulse files for all 16, 24 and 32 bit files. I was able to do some listening tests in comparison with my original cds de-emphasized by analog circuitry in my player and I can't tell any difference at all. These are really great. Can I upload them so we can make some comparison with all others like in mjb2006 graph in previous post?

My next question is about the possibility of adding a line in status bar about anytime the plugin is active (foo_deemph). Something like for HDCD post processing plugin: HDCD: $if2($info(hdcd),no) Is it possible?! It would be awesome to see status Pre-Emphasis: Yes/No without any clicking and checking let's say “Yes” status could be in re color. Somebody skilled in syntax who can help here? Thanks again for help.

De-emphasis components

Reply #47
Ok I tried some files which I de-emphasized by this plugin (on playback not permanently) and the result is pretty bad. It totally kills audio which sounds dull and dead. Especially stereo imaging is non-existent. Original cds sounds nothing like this. Something is wrong with post processing here. As I said convolver loaded with my impulses is far better. Strange.    You can try. Of course uncheck “Auto level adjust” option in convolver.

Waves_De-Emphasis

De-emphasis components

Reply #48
My next question is about the possibility of adding a line in status bar about anytime the plugin is active (foo_deemph). Something like for HDCD post processing plugin: HDCD: $if2($info(hdcd),no) Is it possible?! It would be awesome to see status Pre-Emphasis: Yes/No without any clicking and checking let's say “Yes” status could be in re color. Somebody skilled in syntax who can help here? Thanks again for help.

This plugin works if PRE_EMPHASIS tag is set to "1" so you can try something like $ifequal(%pre_emphasis%,1,Yes,No)

Ok I tried some files which I de-emphasized by this plugin (on playback not permanently) and the result is pretty bad. It totally kills audio which sounds dull and dead. Especially stereo imaging is non-existent. Original cds sounds nothing like this. Something is wrong with post processing here. As I said convolver loaded with my impulses is far better. Strange.    You can try. Of course uncheck “Auto level adjust” option in convolver.

Not confirmed: there's almost no difference between deemph and Waves impulse.

De-emphasis components

Reply #49

This plugin works if PRE_EMPHASIS tag is set to "1" so you can try something like $ifequal(%pre_emphasis%,1,Yes,No)

Not confirmed: there's almost no difference between deemph and Waves impulse.

Thanks for the swift responses. I appreciate it. I thing the whole concept of your foo_deemph plugin is best by far. Your files are untouched, you don't need to care anymore for manually activate your dsp when you put the right tags in your file and I can confirm it works absolutely flawlessly. Is there any possibility for some advanced option to load your own impulses instead the default one from sox? Something like in plugin for playing of SACD DSD files in your  computer. It has different switchable filters which are transforming DSD into PCM. That could make this one as the ultimate plugin and all you need. I'm not really some kind of programmer and sorry if I misunderstood the concept of your plugin but I think that the output even on post precessing plugin is based on sox deeemp .wav impulse..Right? BTW Thanks for the syntax for status bar.