Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping 5.1 DVD audio (Read 8126 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

I use EAC and the AoTuVb2 encoder to rip cds however I am getting a cd that is remastered in 5.1 dvd audio, and I've read ogg vorbis keep 5.1 sound but, how do I accomplish this? EAC(if I am not mistaken makes stereo wavs) then uses the AoTuVb2 encoder.  Also if I can get the 5.1 sound does the encoder keep the 5.1 channel or go to 2 channels?  I cant find any resources on how to do what I would like to do.

I decided to come post here because you guys seem to be the gurus of audio.  Any info would be appreciated.

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #1
IF what you have is a DVD-Audio disc, there is no way to rip the DVDA portion of the disc.  You should be able to rip the DVD-Video portion of the disc if it has one.  Search the forums, this has been discussed in depth.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #2
Yes its an audio dvd, rats I was hoping to get some 5.1 ogg going.  I dont think there is any video on this what so ever, but when I get it I'll see if there is a video_ts section. 

Ok so I did some reading, on this forum and others its seems DVD-Audio discs cannot be ripped at the moment.

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #3
Google "dvd audio extractor", that's what I'm using. Don't know if it's exactly what you want, but it rips dvd-audio discs...

jan

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #4
From the looks of it it only rips audio from DVD's, not DVD Audio.

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #5
From the looks of it it only rips audio from DVD's, not DVD Audio.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225292"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Last time I looked at it, that was correct.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #6
I could confirm.
Only thing you could do is to rip AC3/LPCM tracks available on Video part of the DVD-Audio. When such tracks are available...
I did it with latest Iron Maiden album. I have a PCM stereo 48 KHz track on my HD and an AC3 lossy multichannel one.
But with some classical DVD-Audio, I've no other choice than listening the DVD-A directly on a compatible player.

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #7
Any chance that the dvd version of the maiden disc is any less horribly compressed than the CD?

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #8
Both version (CD quality and High Definition tracks) are disappointing. Loud of course. But in my opinion, loudness is not the only problem and probably not the biggest. Sound is really flat, suffering I think from equalisation problems. It's not enjoying. I have loud albums which sound better, richer...

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #9
My thoughts exactly.  There's no "edge" to the sound.

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #10
Dvd2Mp3
Idunno if this tool does what you need and if it generally does sth. different than 'DVD Audio Extractor'.
Just remembered I saw it somewhere

edit:
...Open a DVD by press Open DVD button
Select DVD's chapter you want to convert
Select DVD's audio track you want to convert...

seems like it takes the audio-stream of each chapter, so it does not do what you want 

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #11
For (video)dvd's you also use dvd decryptor and select main chapters. Turn ifo mode on, only select the audio stream you want and set to demux it.(i've done it for the 2 channel audio a few times) For real dvd audio i wouldn't know.

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #12
My thoughts exactly.  There's no "edge" to the sound.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225476"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree completely. While I simply love Iron Maiden music beyond description, I hate the way 'Dance Of Death' sounds. They completely botched up the production. 'Brave New World' sounded much, much better and I was complaining when I heard that album... 

Ripping 5.1 DVD audio

Reply #14
DVD Audio ripper allows DVD Video with musical contend ripping, not DVD Audio ripping (which supposes to hack DVD-A protection - currently impossible).