Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best EAC Setting For Best MP3 Quality (Read 17472 times) previous topic - next topic

Best EAC Setting For Best MP3 Quality

Hi , which Command line parameters will i use for best mp3 quality on EAC ?
please post the full command line parameters with ID3v1 and ID3v2 tagging .

Both CBR & VBR .

Thanks .

Reply #4
What do you mean by "best"? Best possible would be 320kbps (CBR) or V0 (VBR). Realize that you are very likely to be not able to tell the difference between 320kbps and V0 or even lower V settings - in this case they would all have the "best" quality but the VBR files would be much smaller. Think of doing some ABX tests before you choose your preferred settings.

Reply #5
What do you mean by "best"? Best possible would be 320kbps (CBR) or V0 (VBR). Realize that you are very likely to be not able to tell the difference between 320kbps and V0 or even lower V settings - in this case they would all have the "best" quality but the VBR files would be much smaller. Think of doing some ABX tests before you choose your preferred settings.

Ok friend , can you gimme a full command line parameter for best VBR quality ?

Reply #6
No.  No one can give you a command line for the best quality.  Quality is in the ear of the beholder.  The setting that provides best quality for me might not be the best quality for you.  lesswire was simply trying to explain this and that you should conduct your own blind ABX tests to determine what bitrate setting is right for you.  Many people often ask for the "best quality" setting with Lame but then fail a blind ABX test comparing the source CD to -V 5 (~130kbps VBR) Lame mp3 files.  This means that they cannot properly distinguish between Lame -V 5 and the source CDs.  This further means that they have no need encoding at anything higher than -V 5 as their ears don't benefit from the higher bitrate settings.

Hence, you should determine what bitrate setting is right for you so that you aren't wasting bits or space.

Reply #7
I mean full command line parameter for best VBR Quality .

Reply #8
-V 2 %s %d

Reply #9
Best VBR setting if your using LAME 3.98.2:

-V 0 --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Best VBR setting if your using LAME 3.97:

-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Best CBR setting if your using LAME 3.98.2:

-b 320 --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Best CBR setting if your using LAME 3.97:

-b 320 --strictly-enforce-ISO --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Please note the --strictly-enforce-ISO switch is to fix some issues with certain players such as WMP, which is forced on with LAME 3.98.

"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #10
Best VBR setting if your using LAME 3.97:

-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Best CBR setting if your using LAME 3.97:

-b 320 --strictly-enforce-ISO --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

You forgot the --ignore-tag-errors in these two since you're specifying a genre.

Going under the assumption that the more simple advice the better, the best advice would be:

Use the current version of Lame (3.98.2) and

-V0 %s %d for highest quality VBR

or

-b320 %s %d for the highest quality CBR

...and tick the option to allow EAC to safely tag the files.

Regarding the idea of "best" quality, I really do concur with what lesswire and kornchild2002 have said.

EDIT: I just binned a post suggesting that a space be placed between the -V and the 0.  With -V (and -b as well), spaces are not necessary.

Reply #11
You forgot the --ignore-tag-errors in these two since you're specifying a genre.

Oops i forgot about the --ignore-tag-errors switch, I haven't used LAME on EAC since last April. That switch was useful with older LAME versions that only supported id3 genre codes.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #12
To sasan50cent,

Dude not only you don't get the whole idea behind Lame but you are also pretty lazy. There's a wiki here at hydrogenaudio with all parameters you need, check http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...le=EAC_and_Lame

Be sure to do some reading about Lame and mp3 in general and ABX tests.

Reply #13
To sasan50cent,

Dude not only you don't get the whole idea behind Lame but you are also pretty lazy. There's a wiki here at hydrogenaudio with all parameters you need, check http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...le=EAC_and_Lame

Be sure to do some reading about Lame and mp3 in general and ABX tests.

I read'em all before you said my lazy friend !
There are so many parameters , i don't know what code will i use .

Reply #14
I'm using LAME 3.98.2 and I'm using this ---> -b320 -h %s %d

I read somewhere (some EAC MP3 ripping guide) that the -h option means to use the highest LAME settings ... or something. Is that still accurate with versioin 3.98.2 ???

- JC

Reply #15
-h is not needed in your command line
-b320 is also overkill - you should do some listening tests to find out which -V (vbr) setting is best for you.

Reply #16
-h is not needed in your command line
-b320 is also overkill - you should do some listening tests to find out which -V (vbr) setting is best for you.

I appreciate your input regarding the -h switch. I guess it is some old and/or outdated thing and/or done automatically etc.?

I've already encoded some stuff using it (i.e., -b320 -h %s %d) so I take it that that stuff is OK or do I need to do it again sans the -h option?

As for it (i.e., -b320) being overkill ... I was using the -V0 option and I admit that is probably more than good enough but as I'm sure you have heard before ... there is some psychological "goodness" in knowing you are doing a straight CBR at the highest bitrate the format allows as per the MP3 spec. Silly? Perhaps ... But my psychological well being supersedes hard drive space LOL

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

Reply #17
No need to reencode the -b320 -h files. They are fine. If -b320 floats your boat then more power to you.

Reply #18
No need to reencode the -b320 -h files. They are fine. If -b320 floats your boat then more power to you.

Thanks again for your comments. I appreciate it.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

Reply #19
Hey FulciLives, t0nee1 here from VH, nice to see you here...I have to tell you, I used to rip to -b320, but now based on listening tests via foobar I now mainly use, -V2 and as low as  -V5 for my portables...That seems to float my boat and make my toes wiggle...