Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file (Read 23400 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file

I am not sure if this odd batch (two discs ripped today) is a WavPack or Foobar2000 issue.  The error I get with 4 versions of Foobar (even the new one) is that "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file):" one.  I ran a verify on two diffrent files (hybrid - one contains the .wvc file in the directory and one does not - just for testing):

Code: [Select]
 WVUNPACK  Hybrid Lossless Audio Decompressor  Win32 Version 4.40.0
Copyright (c) 1998 - 2006 Conifer Software.  All Rights Reserved.

verified 07 - Complication.wv in 3.25 secs (lossy, 424 kbps)
-------------------------------------------------------

WVUNPACK  Hybrid Lossless Audio Decompressor  Win32 Version 4.40.0
Copyright (c) 1998 - 2006 Conifer Software.  All Rights Reserved.

verified 05 - Please.wv (+.wvc) in 5.28 secs (lossless, 26.80%)
-------------------------------------------------------
Press any key to continue . . .

Winamp plays the files just fine, so I am a bit confused.  Has anyone else seen this behavior before?

Reply #1
A -ss dump from wvunpack might give us a clue as to what might be wrong. Otherwise, perhaps you could get a small lossy sample to me somehow (I assume that fb2k still has problems when the correction file is missing).

Also, what program did you use for ripping/encoding? You didn't run this through your app, did you? 

David

Reply #2
Another oddity:  In Foobar 9.4.2, I get exactly 11 instances of the song (the same number of tracks on this disc/album).  The first ten do not play, but the final one plays and the tag info dialog displays when you right-click and choose Properties.  With the latest Foobar 9.4.3, it just has the one failed instance in the playlist.

A -ss dump from wvunpack might give us a clue as to what might be wrong. Otherwise, perhaps you could get a small lossy sample to me somehow (I assume that fb2k still has problems when the correction file is missing).

As I ran this, the cuesheet looked funky.  I removed it and the problem was resolved.  I will doublecheck my EAC command line.  Is it unwise to embed an album cuesheet in each of the album's separate tracks?  Redundant, I know, but I figured it wouldn't hurt...

Also, what program did you use for ripping/encoding? You didn't run this through your app, did you? 

My app? LOL. Well, actually, yes - but not for encoding. These were ripped from EAC direct to wavpack.exe (no REACT or Mareo).  I used my app to create the batch file to verify and run the wvgain processes.

Thanks for the help, it was my fault.

(EDIT:  fixed problem)

Reply #3
As I ran this, the cuesheet looked funky.  I removed it and the problem was resolved.  I will doublecheck my EAC command line.  Is it unwise to embed an album cuesheet in each of the album's separate tracks?  Redundant, I know, but I figured it wouldn't hurt...

Hmm, I don't know exactly what foobar2000 will think of that. It seems like it might figure that each track is an image, but then they're too small to work properly.

If you really want to do that you could name them MY_REDUNDANT_CUESHEET and foobar would probably just ignore them...

Anyway, glad you figured out your problem! 

David