Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to decode very large files to WAV? (Read 13152 times) previous topic - next topic

How to decode very large files to WAV?

Suppose I have a very large Ogg/Vorbis file, and I'd like to decode that to a WAV file.
I was using oggdec, and it kinda worked, problem is, the file turned out to be 5GB and that was larger, than RIFF WAV can get.

So, how to do it properly?

I later wanted to use lame to encode it into a smaller MP3, but that didn't work, the resulting file had a length of about 1h40m, while the original file was around 8h30m long.

Is there a better way to do this with pipes? when I tried piping the output of oggdec to lame, all I got was white noise.

Reply #1
What was the command line? It should look something like:

oggdec -o 12.ogg | lame -V 2 - 12.mp3

That certainly works here although I haven't a file to test whether it will work on your long file.

Although the technical limit of a standard riff wav file is around 4GB, some encoders have an option to ignore the length of the input file as specified in the riff wav header and just keep going until end-of-file. oggenc2 and aacenc do but I'm not sure about any others.

Reply #2
and I'd like to decode that to a WAV file...

...I later wanted to use lame to encode it into a smaller MP3.

What do you really want/need...    WAV or MP3?    If you need a (valid) WAV file, you'll have to split it into multiple files before converting to WAV (with an audio editor).  There are a couple of WAV variations (R64 and W64) that can handle bigger fiies, but you need compatible software to play or edit the special format.

If you are having trouble with the command-line tools, Audacity can do all kinds of conversions (after installing the optional FFMPEG & LAME CODECS).  Just open the file and save it ("export" it) in a different format.  Or, I find XRECODE very handy for all kinds of conversions.  (here is a link to the older FREE version of XRECODE.)

Reply #3
To me, this reads as a desire for shorter mp3 files. Why not use one of the specialized mp3 editors that can cut an mp3 file into multiple shorter mp3 files without any decoding and reencoding? Several are listed in the mp3 section of the forum.

Reply #4
I agree john33

Reply #5
What I need is an MP3 file, that is around 700MB maximum, and encoded with CBR MP3, as the player can only play CDs with MP3 on them encoded with CBR (aside from normal audio CDs, of course).

This is a hardware double CD player deck with jog wheel controllers, used in our DJ setup.
In other words, this is not really a question of audio quality, but one of compatibility with the hardware CD player.

As for the command I tried:
Code: [Select]
oggdec -o - file.ogg | lame --cbr -h -b 128 - file.mp3

Reply #6
Try SoX:

sox file.ogg -C 128 file.mp3

Reply #7
As for the command I tried: