Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 with DivX (Read 10781 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 with DivX

Reply #25
Last, can somebody please comment on the current parameters I've been using, namely:

"lame -m a -d -q 0 --vbr-old -V 9 --athtype 3 --short --verbose"

Anything I can do to improve without of course increase file size dramatically?
Will any lowpass or highpass option help?

What about other ath and psy switches?

You should stick with "--alt-preset 128" or you better could try with --alt-preset medium -b 32 for a 1 cd only encoding (the last one gives good results and keeps a relative low bitrate, ~130-140kbps). Your commandline will give only worst results cause it's not tuned.

MP3 with DivX

Reply #26
@alexnoe

I can CONFIRM you that VBR MP3 is NOT part of the official AVI spec.

However, as you and Fr4nz pointed, most people who get problems with audio sync or other issues with VBR MP3 and AVI is simply because they use wrong programs or simply aren't experienced enough.

I admit I also had problems long long time ago, but never had any problems for the past few years now ever since nandub and virtualdubmod.

And since it works, who cares if it's a hack. Even if M$ decides to fix it in the future, I am confident people will find a workaround anyway.

So, right now, the most compatible and supported format is still AVI+MP3.

Tomorrow, maybe MKV's popularity will supercede AVI. Only time will tell.

MP3 with DivX

Reply #27
I never had problems with VBR or mono mp3 in Avi's.
The only problem i had was with mp3s with a samplerate lower than 44.1 khz, it will speed up the picture :/

MP3 with DivX

Reply #28
I can CONFIRM you that VBR MP3 is NOT part of the official AVI spec.
Since I have coded an AVI reader and writer from scratch (not using any buggy M$ stuff for file access except for CreateFile, ReadFile, WriteFile and SetFilePointer), I know the specs pretty well 

If M$ fixes the bug, then we will have to use Gabest's AVI split filter...so there should be no problem at all.

At the moment, i'm coding my own mkv library...
I never had problems with VBR or mono mp3 in Avi's.
Ever tried to use mono and stereo mp3 in the same file? I got bug reports en masse because of this and have not been able to track it down 

MP3 with DivX

Reply #29
[deleted]

MP3 with DivX

Reply #30
I've seen MPlayer and Xine need fiddling to get certain AVI files with VBR MP3 to maintain audio/video sync
The way this hack works is easy enough to be implemented into any player or system which wants to support it. We are far beyond the point where using this hack could be undone...

MP3 with DivX

Reply #31
Reason for doing 1 CD rip is the challenge of getting a good rip and also the hassle of changing disc in the middle of the movie.

My aim is getting a good 1 CD rip, compromising quality. If my goal was quality, I might as well make a DVD copy.

I think I have tried out all the A/V containers.  My favourite is the mkv container from matroska!

I have been able to create a DVD backup which is almost identical to the original !!!

I would say, no noticeable quality loss to the audio using aac @ -internet, obviously –streaming and –normal are much better!

I used DivX for the video and aac for the audio

I use the audio coding settings: -normal for short movies -streaming for medium movies and -internet for long movies.  I try to keep the audio file at about 80Mb.

I am quiet sure aac -internet is far superior than mp3 128.

---

My second choice would be using the ogm container with Ogg Vorbis audio.

---

You can also try the mp4 container, but it’s not as complete as the mkv or ogm containers!

---

I don't think you can go wrong with mkv, I just finished encoding another movie, and I wish it was not illegal to share, just to show you how close it is to the original.  This might sound a bit sad, but I sometimes watch my latest "master piece", just to admire the quality of the video and audio

Hope that helps

MP3 with DivX

Reply #32
The reason I don't want to use the alt presets is because for instance if I use 128, how can I be sure if the bitrates would be most optimized for this particular movie.

vbr with curent lame implementations seems to work much better at higher bitrates, so it is better to use the abr presets in that range (100~150).
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

MP3 with DivX

Reply #33
If you plan to resample your audio to 44.1kHz before encoding, as long as you use a high precision resampler like SRC or SSRC, you may, in theory, be able to obtain slightly higher quality.

it is abx-able, at least at lower bitrates, this two samples were both encoded with '--alt-preset 128', but one was first resampled with foobar to 44.1 khz:

(links, files removed)

(44.1 sounds better to me, 48 will make sort of swishing sounds...)

If you have to use MP3 in an AVI container and you care about integrity and compatbility, I would recommend "--alt-preset cbr n --nsmsfix 1.0" where n is a bitrate between 160 and 320 kbps.
that makes sense of course, question: how much worse is 'cbr 160' vs 'abr 160' for example?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

MP3 with DivX

Reply #34
I wouldn't care about "Compatibility" with MP3 VBR since all the players/standalone players now will support it. So use VBR with no fears.

MP3 with DivX

Reply #35
@Mole:

I don't really know exactly what some of the switches you have there do, but if your command line gives you, let's say, an average bitrate of 128 kbps, you will very likely be better off using --alt-preset 128.

And that is also a switch that will adapt to the complexity of the film. It is commonly agreed that for bitrates below 160 is better to use ABR than VBR mode. (both output Variable Bit Rate files...)

I could be wrong, but I think I'm right

MP3 with DivX

Reply #36
I wouldn't care about "Compatibility" with MP3 VBR since all the players/standalone players now will support it. So use VBR with no fears.

I also wouldnt fear about compatibility problems with VBR MP3 personally, i have been using it myself a lot, the movies still play if i want them to play, on whatever platform ( it works in mplayer, and this piece of software is compiled for almost anything under the earth meanwhile  ).

So, as long as you dont edit the files with 'broken' tools, to repeat alexnoe, you should be fine.

My main concern about NOT using MP3 is quality. Dont forget, there is another aspect about audio quality with respect to the Dolby ProLogic surround encoding that can be found on almost every DVD soundtrack. My Dad's SONY TV has a built in DPL decoder, and everytime i was using Lame VBR and forgot to set the -b 64 switch, it happpened once in a while that the DPL decoder would not be able to detect the DPL track anymore, switching it on and off periodically, so the movie could not be really enjoyed unless you manually deactivated the DPL decoder.

Sine i was using Vorbis, first in OGM and now in MKV, and even at very low bitrates like 75 - 85 kbps this problem would never come up again, and i expect the same to be true for AAC also.

Now, if OGM and MKV are really both not 'stable' enough for you ( why ? ), and you want to go 'mainstream' and 'standard' by all means, then please use at least MP4 and AAC for your 1 CD encodes ....

MP3 with DivX

Reply #37
Does AAC work on Kiss players?

Anyway, --alt-preset standard and --alt-preset medium uses a minimum bitrate of 128kbits, so there's no danger to go down to 64kbits/sec

MP3 with DivX

Reply #38
@alexnoe

So you mean that Avery Lee and a lot of other people are wrong?

Why is there problem with AVI and VBR MP3 then?

@Kblood

The thing is, with my swtiches "-q 0 -V 9" the average bitrate can fluctate quite a lot between movies. I've seen as low as abr 90 on some movies to 160 on others.

Let's say I want to keep the "-q 0 -V 9" as a base setting. What other switches can I add to improve things?

What's best between --vbr-old, --vbr-new and --vbr-mtrh?

Umm.. wait a minute... you don't even know what some of the switches do????

OK, I don't want to sound insulting here, but is the reason why you guys are recommending to use the presets, simply because you are not even sure of all the LAME switches?

I'm sure the presets are tried and tested extensively for music, but I think the movie scene has been mostly overlooked.

Movies can contain long periods of dialogue where you can get away with very low bitrates. Using ABR would potentially waste bitrate during dialogue scenes while there may be bitrate shortage during action and music scenes.

@ChristianHJW

I never said MKV is "unstable". It's just not as widely used yet and the future still uncertain.

MP3 with DivX

Reply #39
Let's say I want to keep the "-q 0 -V 9" as a base setting. What other switches can I add to improve things?
I'm sure the presets are tried and tested extensively for music, but I think the movie scene has been mostly overlooked.

"-q 0" is NOT the best mode to use (contrary to the documentation). Unfortunately I can't tell you which is better. (I also think this changed with the recent LAME version.)

LAME's VBR implementation doesn't work well at lower bitrates (as mentioned before). It is just not sensitive enough and often chooses a suboptimal bitrate for the passage of sound it is analyzing so it shouldn't be used. If you want to use LAME then you are pretty much stuck with the abr modes at the bitrates you are targetting.

For 1cd rips, personally I would go for ogg vorbis (between q4 and q5) and stuff it into an ogg or mkv container. Haven't used Matroska myself, but I believe the guys are trying hard to make a good container (and succeeding ). I'm pretty sure there will be enough enthusiasts that will ensure compatibility in the future.

MP3 with DivX

Reply #40
According to the FAQ at kiss' website, they only support red book audio CDs, OGG and MP3.

The DSP chip isn't probably powerful enough to support other formats.

MP3 with DivX

Reply #41
Maybe they will support other formats in the future via firmware upgrade...they've already made good things with firmware updates 

MP3 with DivX

Reply #42
"lame -m a -d -q 0 --vbr-old -V 9 --athtype 3 --short --verbose"

Anything I can do to improve without of course increase file size dramatically?
Will any lowpass or highpass option help?

hmm... Change -q 0 as it will bloat the bitrate and is broken in most LAME versions (until 3.93.1).
Use -q 1 (AFAIK it's not buggy) or just -h (which should be default anyway).
-m a? Use the default.
Try --nspsytune, it should provide much better results for VBR.
Add -Y to get lower bitrate at similar quality.
Drop --short, it is default.
Add --scale 0.95, it will reduce clipping and bitrate without quality loss.

But ultimately... use alt-presets
ruxvilti'a

MP3 with DivX

Reply #43
@AstralStorm

Thanks! 

This is exactly the kind of answers I was looking for!!

MP3 with DivX

Reply #44
Contrary to what most of the people say around here, non-named alt-presets don't use any code tuning.
Be aware that some hardware players won't play audio encoded with -d option.
I'd drop it, it shouldn't make much difference.
ruxvilti'a

MP3 with DivX

Reply #45
The thing is, with my swtiches "-q 0 -V 9" the average bitrate can fluctate quite a lot between movies. I've seen as low as abr 90 on some movies to 160 on others.

I would try test encoding the file with VBR to find a kind of "recommended average bitrate" then reencode it at an ABR setting close to the average bitrate of the VBR file.  This will give you the better quality of ABR at lower bitrates and it will give you more bandwidth when the film requires it.  Remember, though, that video can be hard to encode too, so if the movie seems to be difficult for the DIVX filters AND gives you an average bitrate of 160 you might want to chose an ABR value below 160 to spread the quality loss between the audio and the video better.  Just a thought.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame