Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Monospaced fonts (Read 12116 times) previous topic - next topic

Monospaced fonts

Reply #1
Personal faves?  Profont; Anonymous.

Monospaced fonts

Reply #3
I have tried and tried all of the above...

... and I settle for Dina. Granted, it's not truetype, but omigosh it looks just great for programming.

I'll upload the screencap later.

Monospaced fonts

Reply #4
Following pepoluan's link I tried a few and fell in love with Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.

However, at home, on my crappy 17" CRT, it looks a little overbearing, so I'm using Crisp.  Dina looks similar, and possibly better; I may give it a try.  All the Proggy ones seemed a little small to me.  My eyes aren't what they used to be...

Bitstream Vera is very, very pleasing on the eye.

Thanks pepoluan.

NB: I was previously using FixedSys.  I'd never thought to look for alternative monospace fonts.
I'm on a horse.

Monospaced fonts

Reply #5
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is what I use in foobar for scripting and stuff. Very nice font indeed.
we was young an' full of beans

Monospaced fonts

Reply #6
Thanks pepoluan.

NB: I was previously using FixedSys.  I'd never thought to look for alternative monospace fonts.
Your welcome... I *never* use FixedSys, damn ugly. Been using Lucida Console all these years... don't really understand how I could stand the confusion between uppercase-o and zero...

Hmm... why do many of you like Bitstream Vera Sans Mono? It seems rather blurry to me... On a note, is DejaVu Monospace exactly the same as Vera Sans Mono?

I keep switching back and forth between Lucida Console (now Dina) and Terminal, though... ASCII art looks good with the latter, heh

Monospaced fonts

Reply #7
Hmm... why do many of you like Bitstream Vera Sans Mono? It seems rather blurry to me... On a note, is DejaVu Monospace exactly the same as Vera Sans Mono?
I can see what you mean.  At home on Win2K it is too faint/blurry, but with XP's ClearType it looks grand at work.  As far as I could tell DejaVu just adds more characters, and is the same font.

I keep switching back and forth between Lucida Console (now Dina) and Terminal, though... ASCII art looks good with the latter, heh
System?  And you say FixedSys is ugly?!  I was always a Courier New man, but I switched to FixedSys a little while back as I just liked the boldness/clarity of it. I do seem to be tending toward larger/heavier fonts, so it may really be my eyesight going!

I also like Monaco and Andale Mono - both of which are similar to Bitstream Vera.

A font like Crisp definately looks better on my Win2K with no ClearType.
I'm on a horse.

Monospaced fonts

Reply #8
System?  And you say FixedSys is ugly?!  I was always a Courier New man, but I switched to FixedSys a little while back as I just liked the boldness/clarity of it. I do seem to be tending toward larger/heavier fonts, so it may really be my eyesight going!

I also like Monaco and Andale Mono - both of which are similar to Bitstream Vera.

A font like Crisp definately looks better on my Win2K with no ClearType.
Like I said, Terminal can display ASCII art nicely

Monaco is nice, but slightly blurry and have a ton of whitespace between lines. I'm not sure about Andale.

Say, no one said anything about Consolas?

Edit: The terminus font looks promising...

Monospaced fonts

Reply #9
Consolas, from Windows Vista, is my current fav <3

Monospaced fonts

Reply #10
Thanks a lot pepoluan! Before this thread I've actually been using the standard DOS font and after that Courier New for pretty much my entire programming career. This thread really opened my eyes. I really like Bitstream and Monaco, they are orders of magnitude better for programming than Ye Olde Courier.

Monospaced fonts

Reply #12
How the fonts look like on my EditPlus:

Anonymous 9 [a href="http://img421.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anonymous9mp3.png" target="_blank"] ... Note: In all screencaps, ClearType is turned off. Some fonts might look different.

Monospaced fonts

Reply #14
Without clear-type, consolas looks very very bad
Here's with clear-type enabled:
Oooo... that looks nice indeed...

Unfortunately if I turn on ClearType the Arial Unicode MS becomes fat & ultrawide, destroying my foobie's looks

I guess I'll have to be content with Dina for the time being... until I can find a good replacement font for Arial Unicode MS.

PS: I use Arial Unicode MS to properly show all the titles of the tracks I have, which ranges from Latin charsets to Cyrillic to Hebrew to CJK...

Monospaced fonts

Reply #15
I use Monospaced. Far from being the best, I agree, but I have been using it for so damn long on my jEdit, that I simply can't get used to any of those other fancy fonts.

Monospaced fonts

Reply #17
I use Monospaced. Far from being the best, I agree, but I have been using it for so damn long on my jEdit, that I simply can't get used to any of those other fancy fonts.

Indeed when you have a deep habit of something it is almost impossible to quit it. The problem only gets worse on later age, so switch fonts while you can

It took me ages to get used to Windows fonts after DOS. And now I'm currently in the process of accustomizing myself with the Monaco font, replacing Courier New/Monospaced (I too used jEdit). It's difficult, but believe in yourself and it is possible

Monospaced fonts

Reply #18
You're still encoding with Musepack, Roberto?

j/k, man!

Monospaced fonts

Reply #19
It's difficult, but believe in yourself and it is possible

Come on, it's not like I'm trying to overcome alcoholism or something. I can be productive and write decent code on Monospaced.

Pepoluan: I didn't get to use Musepack "for so damn long". I switched to AAC before that could happen. So, no, I didn't even get used to that format (thank God!)

Monospaced fonts

Reply #20
All the Proggy ones seemed a little small to me.  My eyes aren't what they used to be...

I use Proggy Clean Slashed Zero Bold Punctuation, but I use it at 12 points.  Very readable and still small enough to get lots of SQL or code on the screen!

Monospaced fonts

Reply #21
I have now converted to using Consolas. In my previous post I said that turning on ClearType muddles up my Arial Unicode... but sometime ago when I tried turning ClearType on... lo! Arial Unicode appears perfectly

Don't know what happened. But I surely can now appreciate the nice Consolas font

Monospaced fonts

Reply #22
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Monospaced fonts

Reply #23
lol

Monospaced fonts

Reply #24
Check out this alternative to the standard ClearType tuner, it gives you much greater control over the contrast setting.

http://www.ioisland.com/cleartweak/