Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with MP3 splitting and cue (Read 18167 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with MP3 splitting and cue

I have spent over 5 hours searching and trying splitters.  I am looking for the best program that can split albums that where made into 1 big MP3.  I also want the program to be able to download the cue from freedb to make the cut points.

From what I understand mp3splt does all of this but I am not a programer and can not compile the GUI version for windows XP.  Can anyone either tell me where to get it or recommend another solution?

Thank you.

Reply #1
I have spent over 5 hours searching and trying splitters.  I am looking for the best program that can split albums that where made into 1 big MP3.  I also want the program to be able to download the cue from freedb to make the cut points.

From what I understand mp3splt does all of this but I am not a programer and can not compile the GUI version for windows XP.  Can anyone either tell me where to get it or recommend another solution?

Thank you.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You on XP?  If so, you don't need to compile mp3splt GUI.  You need the gtk runtime though.  If you looked at the mp3splt site properly you'd have seen this via the 'mp3splt-gtk INSTALL file' found at [a href="http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/documentation.php]http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_pag...cumentation.php[/url]:
Installation on Windows

-download and install gtk runtime from here in the default directory

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-wi...up.zip?download

-then, (on Windows XP) you should be able to execute the win32 binary

-if this fails, download the win32 binary with the gtk runtime included

I've tried this GUI version, but prefer the commandline one; it really is quite easy and would recommend that instead.

Have you tried Mp3DirectCut? That should work too.

A little bit of searching on HA.org would find these threads: thread 1, thread 2.

I'm sure these will help.

Reply #2
A little bit of searching on HA.org would find these threads: thread 1, thread 2.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314027"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know the experts get tired of answering these questions repeatedly so I want to assure you that I DID search HA for 2 hours and had found, read, and understood those 2 threads.

I also did find the gt2k but was unable to install it.  I absolutely want the GUI interface however.  I am an old dos guy but the idea of having to sift through cue sheets at freedb and get all the parameters perfect seems very time consuming.

Thank you for helping me out.  I will try and do the install again.

Reply #3

I know the experts get tired of answering these questions repeatedly so I want to assure you that I DID search HA for 2 hours and had found, read, and understood those 2 threads.

I also did find the gt2k but was unable to install it.  I absolutely want the GUI interface however.  I am an old dos guy but the idea of having to sift through cue sheets at freedb and get all the parameters perfect seems very time consuming.

Thank you for helping me out.  I will try and do the install again.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314122"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did try MP3Directcut but couldn't figure out how to apply the cue sheet.  I loaded the file then laid over the CUE sheet and nothing happened.  What is the proper procedure?

Reply #4
You on XP?  If so, you don't need to compile mp3splt GUI.  You need the gtk runtime though.  If you looked at the mp3splt site properly you'd have seen this via the 'mp3splt-gtk INSTALL file' found at http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_pag...cumentation.php:
Installation on Windows

-download and install gtk runtime from here in the default directory

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-wi...up.zip?download

-then, (on Windows XP) you should be able to execute the win32 binary

-if this fails, download the win32 binary with the gtk runtime included

I've tried this GUI version, but prefer the commandline one; it really is quite easy and would recommend that instead.

Have you tried Mp3DirectCut? That should work too.

Those are install INSTRUCTIONS not an install file.  You still need to download and compile 3 libraries before you can even think of starting to use anything.

It really kills me that people write software that mere mortals can't use.  I guess it is some kind of 'chic' club that we are excluded from.  I think it shows their lack of appreciation of what it takes to make commercial applications.

Reply #5
TBH I do remember it being quite a biatch to get the mp3splt GUI sorted.  Maybe what helped was that I had already installed GIMP that also requires the GTK libs.  Maybe worth a try.

Anyway, I've had a another play with the mp3splt GUI in relation to the CUE file stuff, and it (at first) appears to work quite nicely.  HOWEVER, as SebastianG has mentioned in this thread and this thread, there are issues with the current crop (pardon the pun) of splitters.  So, after splitting a file using a CUE sheet with mp3splt GUI (the commandline version has the same result... obviously), I ran Sebi's little mp3brfix tool to analyse the files, and all but the first file had bit-reservoir errors (just the 1 each).  So, I then used Sebi's new app (available from him if you PM him) that splits mp3 files using a CUE sheet correctly: no bit-reservoir errors this time (good work Sebi  ).

But his tool is a commandline one that uses Java.

With regards mp3DirectCut, I'll be honest and say that I haven't used it that much at all.  I've found it to be a little un-user-friendly and for my needs, up to now, mp3splt has been sufficient.  I'll be using Sebi's app from now on though when I split files.  I'm also not a very experienced CUE sheet man (if that makes sense) as my main uses of splitters has been to cut down longer DJ mixes that I get that are too long for a CD (or would just eat too much battery life from my DAP if I were to have a 2hr mp3 rather than a 1hr one [that is in my experience with long files on my iRiver H120]).  Synthetic Soul seems to be your man for CUE sheet stuff.

Reply #6

Thank you.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have had trouble with mp3DirectCut and VBR-encoded files wrt cutting in the wrong place.

I have had complete success with musiCutter and cuesheets pointing to VBR-encoded mp3 files.

Edit: [a href="http://musicutter.host.sk/]http://musicutter.host.sk/[/url]

Reply #7
I tried musicutter but I just can seem to get it to do anything.  Furthermore the screen shot looks different from the app.  This is the most frustrating thing in the world.

Is there an app that can load the file to split, then load the cue file from freedb, then make cutpoints from the cue sheet and cut?

Reply #8
I tried musicutter but I just can seem to get it to do anything.  Furthermore the screen shot looks different from the app.  This is the most frustrating thing in the world.

Is there an app that can load the file to split, then load the cue file from freedb, then make cutpoints from the cue sheet and cut?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314190"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just choose the "Cut points" folder tab, then select "Import from file...", and select the cuesheet you want to use to cut your mp3 file. If that doesn't work, you probably have a formatting problem with your cuesheet. Check the filename, as well as other obvious formatting rules.

If you already have cuesheets, go with those and invest the few minutes it takes to solve your immediate problem.

Edit: clarification

Reply #9
Ok I got musicutter to work but I have another question.  The albums seem to be wrapped in albumwrap but I can't extract them.  Is it possible mp3splt will unwrap them?  I still can't get it to run.

Reply #10
Hello, I develop of mp3splt-gtk. The version 0.2 was released and includes many features of mp3splt.A windows installer is also available.
mp3splt and mp3splt-gtk home page

Cheers,
Alex

Reply #11
Hello, I develop of mp3splt-gtk. The version 0.2 was released and includes many features of mp3splt.A windows installer is also available.
mp3splt and mp3splt-gtk home page

Cheers,
Alex
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343596"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

has someone tried this yet?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #12
I have. Doesn't produce gapless output, so it's essentially worthless (unless you don't care about destroying one whole frame of audio).

Reply #13
I have. Doesn't produce gapless output, so it's essentially worthless (unless you don't care about destroying one whole frame of audio).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355207"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

does it at least cut VBR files correctly? also, does the file (VBR) display the correct length after cutting?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #14
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355207"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Please explain me what this means, I don't understand what you are saying. I need to know what is wrong in order to fix it.

does it at least cut VBR files correctly? also, does the file (VBR) display the correct length after cutting?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355219"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it should cut mp3 VBR files correctly.

Alex

Reply #16
He means that he wants gapless playback even after splitting.

For MP3 files, the LAME info tag can be used to make playtime constant after splitting.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355427"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you for the reply. I will take a look at this as soon as I have the time.
Alex