Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 517076 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #50
Installed WMP Tag Plus on a Windows 7 machine.  Had been runnning Xiph’s Directshow filters & WMPTagSupportExtender 1.4.  WMP Tag Plus was VERY quick and successfully identified all my albums whereas WMPTagSupportExtender left quite a few as unknown.

However, and this is critical for me, I found that I cannot control WMP Tag Plus from refreshing my tag information.  For example, some of the music I listen to is fairly obscure, and I have found there are errors in the information downloaded that puts some tracks under let’s say  the band name “The Art Bears” versus tracks on the same album listed as “Art Bears”.    So the tracks from a single album are split into two albums and whenever I try to correct the information under WMP Tag Plus, seconds after I have corrected it, WMP Tag Plus has already changed it back.  If there was some sort of refresh button, at least I would have control over when it refreshed the information.

So while I absolutely love the speed of the program and how it shows the length of the songs, I ended up uninstalling it as I need to be able to control the album information.  WMP Tag Plus is a great program, and I certainly hope that you will keep my issue in mind as you continue to work on it, I would love to switch back to it.

Reply #51
Hey b23h,

That sounds like the exact same problem I was facing with the plugin. I have had discussion with Tim over this, and we found a solution in updating the external TagLibTagSupport.dll. With that update the pluging read's in writes to the same metablock. Tim hasn't officialy released the new version, but I tested it, and it seems to work. Tags aren't changed back by WMP anymore.

I still have some difficulties to actually make WMP adapt the changes to the files, but that might also be due to the fact that my flac files seem to have corrupted metablocks. When I open a specific flac file with a program like mp3tag, tag&rename, godfather tag or foobar I'm getting different results for each program??

cheers.

Reply #52
b23h, what's the file type of these tracks? Tags changing back to their old values immediately after editing certainly shouldn't happen and probably means that WMP Tag Plus was unable to write the changes.

I have just PM'ed you the download link to WMP Tag Plus 1.1. Could you please try it and check if the problem is fixed in this newer version? I am going to wait with officially releasing WMP Tag Plus 1.1 until I'm sure that the issue you're having is fixed.

Also, remember to remove any other tag support plug-ins, such as WMP Tag Support Extender, to prevent conflicts with WMP Tag Plus.

Reply #53
Tim,

After cleaning my flacfiles all troubles seem to have gone away. No more freezing of WMP and very fast speeds. It also looks like tag information is now 100% correctly stored, will give you a heads up tommorrow, since WMP will be finished by then.

I actually never said thanks for making this wonderful piece of software. It is awesome, so thanks!

WMP Tag Plus currently doesn't support album art, sorry for not mentioning this earlier. This is something that might be added later in a new version.

this would be lovely feature to be added.. any heads up for future releases?

Reply #54
Sorry...  running FLAC.  Thank you for 1.1, it did fix the problem.

Brian

Reply #55
Glad to hear that WMP Tag Plus seems to be working fine now for both of you. I'll probably release WMP Tag Plus 1.1 this weekend.

this would be lovely feature to be added.. any heads up for future releases?

There aren't any concrete plans yet. I would like to release some other things first, and I also want to be completely sure that the current WMP Tag Plus works well for most, if not all, people, before adding new features.

Reply #56
Hey Tim,

I have a question left. How does the plugin handle the albumartist tags? I know WMP 'misuses' the BAND tag for albumartist. In my squeezebox system I have set this tag as to be used for albumartist also. I have updated my flac files and removed unwanted extra TAG fields, including the 'ALBUMARTIST' tag field (since BAND is taking care of that). But after updating my files using Windows Media Player, I see that the ALBUMARTIST tag is back again.

It would be nice to have the option for choosing how to write the albumartist info in which tag field. Like an option for 'write it to new ALBUMARTIST field' or 'write it to existing BAND field'.

Is that something for a new version?

cheers.

Reply #57
WMP Tag Plus reads the ALBUMARTIST field (or ALBUM ARTIST if the former doesn't exist), and always writes to ALBUMARTIST. It ignores he BAND field, and I don't really see why it should misuse this field for album artist if the other two fields are much more suitable. The discussion at http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=8705 seems to confirm this. As mentioned in this discussion, you can use Mp3tag to batch convert all BAND fields to ALBUMARTIST.

General news: WMP Tag Plus 1.1 is now officially released, see http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/wmptagplus for more details.

Reply #58
Hey Tim,

Well indeed ALBUMARTIST or ALBUM ARTIST (or in fact whatever you would like to enter) is suitable. But read this in the topic you mentioned:

yes, TPE2 has been hijacked, and yes, it shouldn't have been, but i doubt it'll ever change. TPE2 is effectively album artist now, its the de facto standard.

TPE2 = BAND, also:

TPE2 is used as "album artist" by Windows Media Player, iTunes, Winamp, Media Monkey, Amarok and others. WMP used it first, even though it's not strictly according to the definition, and other players followed the trend. Like it or not, it is a de facto standard now.

TXXX with description "ALBUM ARTIST" is used by Foobar2000 and ... wait, nothing else

on http://forums.musicbrainz.org/viewtopic.php?id=1481

So what happens now is that on the flac files 2 tag fields stand for Album Artist (BAND and ALBUM ARTIST). This is confusing and can lead to problems, check here:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10724

I just thought it might be interesting to keep track on.

Reply #59
FLAC files can contain both ID3 and Vorbis metadata, and WMP Tag Plus only uses the album artist tag of Vorbis metadata. TPE2 is an ID3 frame, so whenever they refer to it in that thread, it is only applicable to ID3, and not to Vorbis. Because WMP Tag Plus only uses the Vorbis metadata for this, it isn't applicable to the plug-in either.

Reply #60
Hey Tim,

Thank you for this excellent plug-in.

I have also came across with the "albumartist" problem. I use WMP's advanced tag editor to wirite tags for my .ogg files, but once I write the albumartist value or use WMP find the albun info, WMP can't play it anymore (but FB2K still can). So I have to use MP3tag to "correct" it, then it can be played again.

What's more, my DAP is also confused about this "albumartist" : in the screen where should show album name it turns out "ARTIST=XXXXX"' or albun name + album artist.

However, I really think this programme is great and thank you for your work. I hope this bug? can be fixed.

PS. is there any programe or plug-in can make vista exploer recognise the tags ?

Fogive me if you have answered such a question before , sine reading so much English is a little hard for me . 

Reply #61
What's the exact text of the error message that WMP shows when you try to play an OGG file with edited album artist? It would be interesting to know what OGG codec you have installed. Also, please explain "correcting it with Mp3Tag".

The problem with the DAP could be related to this. However, if it turns out that WMP Tag Plus correctly writes the album artist by the standards (which it should), and if the DAP doesn't follow these standards, then this is really beyond my control.

PS. is there any programe or plug-in can make vista exploer recognise the tags ?

You could install the TagLib Property Handler. Note that I haven't tested this myself, and that it doesn't have write support.

Reply #62
There is no text of the error message: WMP just “play”, but no sound out. I have found it is caused by the codec I used. I have uninstalled the codec package and installed the official codec by Xiph.Org and everything is fine.

"Correcting it with Mp3Tag" means add a BAND value or remove ALBUMARTIST value.

As to the DAP problem, I found that it can read some files correctly. Whatever, I don’t care.

Thank you for your advice!

Reply #63
Nice to see that the problem is already fixed. What was the codec pack that you initially had installed? This information might come in handy if other users are experiencing similar problems.

The DAP really shouldn't read the album artist from the BAND tag, this tag has a different purpose. ALBUMARTIST is much more suitable, and is the de facto standard.

Reply #64

You could install the TagLib Property Handler. Note that I haven't tested this myself, and that it doesn't have write support.

Thanks for pointing to that. It's just what I've been looking for. I don't need write support as Mp3tag can handle that just fine.

Reply #65
Nice to see that the problem is already fixed. What was the codec pack that you initially had installed? This information might come in handy if other users are experiencing similar problems.

The DAP really shouldn't read the album artist from the BAND tag, this tag has a different purpose. ALBUMARTIST is much more suitable, and is the de facto standard.

It's the PURE codec aimed at HD playback.

Reply #66
Hi,

i really like your plug in cause it is faster than WMP tag support extender and the length of each track is now known.

If you are interested in adding more features to Windows Media Player (and Media Center) it would be great if you are able to add support for cue sheets + flac images

greetz Mike

Reply #67
Actually, I have already tried to add CUE sheet support to WMP a while ago. However, it takes a lot of work and requires some ugly hacks to make it function properly, mainly because WMP doesn't really do gapless playback. This made me decide to stop trying and to spend my time on something easier instead (such as WMP Tag Plus). I might pick it up again someday, but it certainly won't be in the near future.

With FLAC images, do you mean embedded album art in FLAC files? Support for embedded album art is on the todo-list for WMP Tag Plus (as it has already been requested a couple of times). I can't say anything about a release date, except that it will be at least a couple of months from now, because I want to release some other things first.

Reply #68
WMPTagPlus doesn't seem to be updating the seek bar on WMP 12 (Windows 7 64 bit) for me.
I'm playing FLAC files, using WMPTagPlus v1.1. The song length is displayed correctly in the playlist, and I can seek to any part of the song.
However, the seek bar doesn't update - it's as though the song isn't playing. If I seek, the seek bar will stay fixed at the point I sought (seeked?) to and not update.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Or is that a current feature/bug/limitation?

Cheers!

Reply #69
Interestingly, Last.FM is still scrobbling these tracks - so it knows that I've listened to over 50% of the track... strange.

Reply #70
Which DirectShow filter is installed for playing FLAC files? If it's madFLAC, then I suggest uninstalling it and installing the Xiph.org Directshow filters instead. There is a problem with madFLAC not updating WMP's seek bar on Windows 7 64-bit.

Reply #71
That'll be it - madFLAC is installed as part of the Shark007 codec pack.

Thanks! WMPTP is great.

Reply #72
With FLAC images, do you mean embedded album art in FLAC files?

No, i mean the ability to play a flac images based on cuesheets
If i start playing a flac image, wmp only shows some basic tags... that's why cue sheet support would be great, but if you say it's hard to implement then i have to wait...^^

Reply #73
Hi Tim,

I wanted to say thanks for your quick response back in November.  Version 1.1 has been working great for me.  It's my favorite of all the flac metadata plug-ins I've tried.  I've got it working in Windows 7 64bit on two machines with WMP & media center and it's been working great.  I've had some problem with WMP in Vista 32, but I've have not been booting in to it enough to work the issue out.

Brian

Reply #74
Happened to be working the issue while posting, had to delete library at %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\
cause it wasn't building the library.

thanks for the plug-in