Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is for you the best album ever ? (Read 385309 times) previous topic - next topic

What is for you the best album ever ?

Reply #75
Is it cheating to claim your favourite album is a various-artists comp? B)

For those who haven't heard it, I would strongly recommend Lenny Kaye's 1972 2-LP compilation, Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968. This was the "album" that began the modern awareness of garage-psychedelia, and it rocks harder than anything the punk or grunge eras ever spawned. (A strong statement, and there are many here who will disagree. This is my opinion.) Best way to get this collection of gems is in the 4-CD box set from Rhino, as the first disc follows the configuration of the original album, with discs two through four offering a plethora of supplemental material.

- M.

Reply #76
My vote goes to Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell I (Remastered), second pick would be Scorpions - Taken By Force (because Uli Jon Roth kicks so much bootay) 

Reply #77
I love Bat out of Hell 1!  Great choice!
Kimberly aka
Baroness Sylvia von Zurich (the only Goldwater Conservative) endorses the Meadow Party's Bill and Opus for the 2004 Presidential election!  A sometimes dead cat and an overweight penguin who looks like a puffin couldn't possibly do any worse than a Shrub.

Reply #78
One of the following:

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
The Clash - London Calling
The Velvent Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

- Matt

Reply #79
Slint - Spiderland

awesome

but i have to go with: Bad Brains - i against i
the earth is flat and the bottom is a place we call hell...

Reply #80
Graveland - Thousand Swords

Reply #81
Elvis' first, of course.

The one that started it all, I guess...
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #82
James Taylor - self titled

Many over look this one, but it is by far my favorite album of all time.

Reply #83
Best Album Ever

Has to be The House of Love - Best of

The Best indie band to ever come out of Manchester.

Reply #84
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

The Bestest indie band to ever come out of Manchester.  B)

Reply #85
Samael - Passage.

Best album of all time? Impossible. People and their music taste do change, after all.

The Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son by Iron Maiden, as mentioned by the topic starter, would probably have made it to the top some other week.

Edit:

Or what the heck, why not all of King Diamond's earlier albums? Or pretty much the entire collected works of Samael.

Reply #86
BBMak - Sooner or Later

Reply #87
Radiohead - OK Computer, no home should be without it.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #88
OK, I'm not metal head (so I'm in the minority here) and I don't mind a bit of Floyd, Beatles, Dylan etc., but I wouldn't say they are my favourites. I do have one of the most eclectic music collections of anyone I know, so its hard to choose favourites. Taking a selection from different genres here's a randomly ordered and heavily edited list of greatest albums:

Mad Professor vs Massive Attack - No Protection
Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K&D Sessions
Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
Bally Sagoo - Dub Of Asia
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Mogwai - Come on Die Young
Nitin Sawhney - Prophecy
Phil K - Balance 004
Pitch Black - Electronomicon
PJ Harvey - Dry
The Necks - Aquatic
The Orb - U.F.Orb
The Abyssinians - Satta Massagana

And of course you have to add most of the Trojan, Soul-Jazz, and Blood & Fire catalogues!

.dd.

Reply #89
As many people say, this is an impossible question. However, I have some albums that strongly affected me at the time, for one thing or another:

Skinny Puppy - Remission & Bites (This really opened my eyes. I've never looked back since)
Massive Attack - Blue Lines (this album is so ground-breaking that I'm still amazed. You must own this album!)
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration (Aged 14 I saw them live for the first time back in '86 when this was released. That was a religious experience which completely changed my life for the better.)
Genocide Organ - Leichenlinie (This opened my eyes even wider when I got it way back in '92. It's shocking!)
Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy (This was the first CD I got with Astral.. And my God they are fantastic!!!)
Paul Oakenfold - The Goa Mix (I first heard this early '95 on a tape copy from a friend in the UK.. It really changed the way I think of music. Now I have the original DAT master, which makes it even more glorious! SO good!)

.. and I could probably list another 2-300 albums that have meant a lot! There is so much greatness in the world of music..

Reply #90
My personal bests:

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Rush - Caress of Steel

Reply #91
My personal bests:

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Rush - Caress of Steel

Scytal3, if you ever make it to Las Vegas, you have to check these guys out www.ybrband.com

Yellow Brick Road is a kickass classic rock cover band, and can play over 30 different bands.  Rush, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd seem to be their favorites, and on the first they are doing a tribute show to Rush.  They really are worth seeing if you ever make it to Sin City.

Kimberly, YBR fan.
Kimberly aka
Baroness Sylvia von Zurich (the only Goldwater Conservative) endorses the Meadow Party's Bill and Opus for the 2004 Presidential election!  A sometimes dead cat and an overweight penguin who looks like a puffin couldn't possibly do any worse than a Shrub.

Reply #92
Anathema - The Crestfallen
My Favorite Lame Preset

--alt-preset fast insane

Reply #93
Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet.

Reply #94
Impossible to say the best, but it's one of Nirvana's CDs. Maybe Nevermind (I know, I know, a cliché, but it just is that great) or Nirvana, as it has something from every album they've released

Reply #95
Slayer- Seasons in the Abyss
Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones
Tool - Undertow
Dead Kennedys -  Bedtime for Democracy
Simon & Garfunkel - Concert in Central Park
NOFX - The Decline
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
KMFDM - Nihil
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
The Cure - Disintegration
The Cure - Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me
Aphex Twin - Druqks
Stevie Ray Vaughan & double Trouble -Texas Flood
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. - Richard P. Feynman

Reply #96
I have to revive this thread. Just because after consuming a lot of albums, still one stands out. I am as passionate about it as I was when I 1st heard it. This is ladies and gentleman

Angle Dust by Faith No More

No-one managed to get close to it in my mind. It is amazing, because as far as I know the conception of this album was extremely troublesome.

Reply #97
Tough choices.  Maybe Errol Garner's Concert By The Sea recorded around '54 and a classic festival recording.  He was in his prime and the audience was great, too.  But, Brubeck's Jazz Goes to Junior College is pretty good, too.  I like lots of rock, even PF DSOTM, The Wall, etc., but jazz will always finish first.  Rachmaninoff is way cool; Gould's Goldberg Variations by Bach (both of them) are good.  Where to stop?  Garner.  It is always good.  I have been listening to it for 50 years and still enjoy it. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #98
The Beatles - The Beatles
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Reply #99
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti for me

as Pink Floyd is such a popular choice I thought I'd list my favourite of theirs: Wish You Were Here