Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: GOOD non-oversampling DAC? (Read 49458 times) previous topic - next topic

GOOD non-oversampling DAC?

Reply #100
I wonder about the reasons for the better balanced-to-unbalanced results. AFAIK the DLIII is no fully balanced design so its internal output should be unbalanced, which is then either output to RCA or converted to balanced first by a balun or DI circuit. This added circuitry in the signal path should not improve results, except when you are using very long cables or are having ground loops. Both advantages should vanish, as soon as you convert to unbalanced. It remains the possibility of bad engineering of the unbalanced output stages.

BTW phase inversion is just phase inversion. It cannot be responsible for the better results.

Reply #101
I wonder about the reasons for the better balanced-to-unbalanced results. AFAIK the DLIII is no fully balanced design so its internal output should be unbalanced, which is then either output to RCA or converted to balanced first by a balun or DI circuit. This added circuitry in the signal path should not improve results, except when you are using very long cables or are having ground loops. Both advantages should vanish, as soon as you convert to unbalanced. It remains the possibility of bad engineering of the unbalanced output stages.

BTW phase inversion is just phase inversion. It cannot be responsible for the better results.
Yeah, I knew that as long as the two channels were in phase with one another, everything was fine  It was just another oddity I'd run into.  The reason I set off on that balanced/unbalanced adventure was for precisely the reasons you state.  It seems kinda screwy to me, but I will record some samples from both DAC's today.  I'm actually kinda hoping to be able to re-sell the PSA, buy a cheap DAC, and use the rest toward X-mas LOL!

Reply #102
Okay, here are the latest attempts, I THINK I have everything worked out.  This time I was as careful as I could be to record both as close to exactly the same levels as I could.  I used the Normalize function again, but this time I found it didn't change much if anything, because the recorded levels were the same to begin with.  I also cut them to the exact sample, so they should be precisely time aligned. 

Check them out here.