Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Urgent Info On Headphones ! (Read 1979 times) previous topic - next topic

Urgent Info On Headphones !

I want to buy headphones and i've narrowed it down to these two models by Sennheiser - HD212 and HD497. HD212 costs 50 eur (around $64) and has deeper and better bass (Freq response 12Hz-19KHz). HD497 costs 65 eur (around $84) but has better treble (freq response 24Hz-22KHz). I know it's also matter of personal taste BUT i will use winamp and equlizers so on which frequencies would it be better compensated - high or low? I mean where would i be able to get better results? Which chances are better: getting better bass on HD497 or getting treble on HD212?

Reply #1
Frequency response according to manufacturer isn't usable at all when talking about headphones. I bet neither of those produce any meaningful response at 24Hz. Same for the high frequencies and you should also take into account that most people don't hear 20KHz anyway.

Reply #2
Yes, don't even bother looking at specs when shopping for headphones--they are a horrible measure of sound quality and characteristics. Reviews from actual people are much better. Check out head-fi.org.

Reply #3
Well, it depends of the environment where you plan to use the headphones.

The 497 are open and the 212 are closed.

Open cans sound better. Closed cans are useful when you want to seal out outside sound or you don't want someone else to hear the headphones.

The HD 497 sound better than the 212. But the 212 can be more useful for you...

Anyway, if you need a good set of sealed cans, go for the HD 280 Pro.

Enjoy!