Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best earbuds for under $50? (Read 87887 times) previous topic - next topic

best earbuds for under $50?

Reply #50
I'm happy to report that...lol...I accidentally left my MX400's in my pants pocket...they were washed and dried...and the MX400's are still working fine.

Anybody else out there finding something even better than the MX400's?

Reply #51
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=342210"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have both MX400 and Panasonic RP-HJE50 canalphones, and the latter are definitely better. MX400 lack for bass, isolation and comfort of use.

Reply #52
does the SE W800 mobile phone (UK) come with Sony EX71s? i think theyre jus a different colour...
If so, they sound amazing, on ipod and mobile...especially if u hav the Mega Bass turned on on the W800!!!

Reply #53
i haven't read the whole thread, but i asked around on head-fi.org, and they recommended the Panasonic RP-HJE50.  i got them and absolutley love them.  they are great phones, and they were only $25 when i got them...
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #54
Just ordered 2 pair of the Panasonic RP-HJE50, one for myself and one for my husband (Christmas coming up and all...or whatever other reason we can think of, right?).  Picked them up at buy.com for $17.99 ea -10% coupon.  Not bad!

Can't wait to hear em.

Reply #55
Wow, 3 recs for the Panasonic RP-HJE50 in a row. Guess I know what I'm going to look for in the next week or two. I might have to retire my MX400's if  I hear/feel a difference...

Reply #57
I'm happy to report that...lol...I accidentally left my MX400's in my pants pocket...they were washed and dried...and the MX400's are still working fine.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I find the [a href="http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductInfo.php?pid=PHISHE9500-BLK]Philips SHE9500 In-Ear Headphone[/url] is pretty good!
It is great that Kobe is giving the ball to his teammates!

Reply #58
I got a pair of Sony EX51's today.  It's the first time I've used these 'in-ear' sort of earbuds and it felt kinda weird.  But wow, the bass is amazing.  It's solid but not too loud.  It's great

Reply #59
I got a pair of Sony EX51's today.  It's the first time I've used these 'in-ear' sort of earbuds and it felt kinda weird.  But wow, the bass is amazing.  It's solid but not too loud.  It's great
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343021"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah I heard those arent very comfy.

Reply #60
My Sharps serve me well.
The bass is not that exagerrated as with Sony 71's, and the sounstage is wonderful. The only problem is that 4-pole cord, dammit…
But still, the best of what I've heard for <$50.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #61
Sennheiser MX400, best $10 USD earphones I've ever heard. And I also own a set of EX51's, wich I don't wear anymore because I lost the medium size rubbery things, but they were nice.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #62
My Sharps serve me well.
The bass is not that exagerrated as with Sony 71's, and the sounstage is wonderful. The only problem is that 4-pole cord, dammit…
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343309"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What model?

Reply #63
My Sharps serve me well.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What model?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343995"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's the [a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Sharp-HP-MD33-INNEAR-Headphone-w-4-Polar-Stereo-Plug_W0QQitemZ5824341731QQcategoryZ111695QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Sharp HP-MD33[/url]
It is great that Kobe is giving the ball to his teammates!

Reply #64
I'm seriously considering purchasing that Panasonic RP-HJE50. Would anybody be able to write a short review to convince me that its a good buy? I've been looking at reviews online at amazon and such but I'd like to hear a review from somebody that may frequent these forums. Thanks.

EDIT: Found a great comparison/review with the Sonys, complete with pictures, right here.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115194

Reply #65
I like the MX400, would not suggest the shorter cord unless you are SURE its what you need, as the cord supplied is none too long in my opinion. My wife thought she lost her set, so we just ordered three pairs from Amazon for $30 shipped, spare pair for her, one for son (who had borrowed moms), and one as a gift to a friend.

These are $10 bucks, and the ONLY way to know if you like them is to try them. Even if they don't turn out to be your MAIN phones, it is highly likely you will still find them usefull, even just as a spare pair.

Preference seems HIGHLY personal, shape of your ears, desire for inflated bass, genuine lack of good taste even, or the need for isolation or noise canceling. Try a few until one suits you, reviews just don't seem worth the time to read them.

BTW I wanted to try the MX-450 (no thanks on volume control), but couldn't at the time find any stock or even a halfway usefull review. Really irks me how Sennheiser has dumbed down their website to just sales materials and no real information.

Reply #66
I got my Creative EP630's last week and I couldn't be more pleased with them. Incredible isolation which might be a tad dangerous when out and about but there you go.

As with any canalphones it takes a little time to get them inserted correctly so you don't want to be in a situation where you'll need to keep putting them in and out but once you hit the sweet spot the sound is nicely balanced with a full bottom end which is very important to me.

The cables are very rubbery which definitely prevents them from becoming as easily tangled as other buds I've owned.

Reply #67
this was the thread on head-fi.org that convinced me to get the panasonics; particularly post 8...  as for my comments on them...  i dont have much to compare them too; i haven't had exposure to the nice phones that people around here talk about, but the difference between them and my old phones is like day and night.  the soundstage is very comfortable, they dont suffer from that in-your-head kind of sound that many in-ear phones suffer from.  additionally, the sound is very well balanced; i can clearly make out and mentally isolate (if that makes sense) the bass, mids, and the highs.  all of which sound natural, sharp, and clear to me.  that is very distinct from my old phones, where all of the sounds appeared mudded together, and individual instruments were very difficult to pick out.

also, the panasonics are very comfortable for me.  the construction seems solid.

while i can't compare them to shure's, senn's, or ety's for you, for me they sound as good as gold.  i couldn't be happier.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #68
this was the thread on head-fi.org that convinced me to get the panasonics; particularly post 8...  as for my comments on them...  i dont have much to compare them too; i haven't had exposure to the nice phones that people around here talk about, but the difference between them and my old phones is like day and night.  the soundstage is very comfortable, they dont suffer from that in-your-head kind of sound that many in-ear phones suffer from.  additionally, the sound is very well balanced; i can clearly make out and mentally isolate (if that makes sense) the bass, mids, and the highs.  all of which sound natural, sharp, and clear to me.  that is very distinct from my old phones, where all of the sounds appeared mudded together, and individual instruments were very difficult to pick out.

also, the panasonics are very comfortable for me.  the construction seems solid.

while i can't compare them to shure's, senn's, or ety's for you, for me they sound as good as gold.  i couldn't be happier.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346179"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice. I ordered the Panasonics a few days ago.

Reply #69
I can recommend the Koss KSC 75, cheap at amazon,
though if you can stand a neckband, get Koss KSC 55,
or Sennheiser PMX 100.

Reply #70
I got my Panasonics as noted above and I've happy to say that I officially like these much better than the MX400's. More comfortable AND better bass. I am hooked!

Reply #71
I was about to find the "best" earphones recently.
Now I own the Sennheiser MX400 and MX550, the Creative EP-630 canal phones, and the Koss KSC-75 ear clips.

As do many repliers I like the MX400 sound. It's very natural. Bass isn't very strong, but it's there. They are isolated enough to not disturb other people and make you not being disturbed by them, but they don't totally isolate you from your environment.

I don't like the MX550 that much. Bass is a lot more impressive than the MX400's but in the upper bass and lower midtone range, they sound a bit muddy to me. Sound can be improved a bit by using thinner foams like those of the MX400.

Best sound to me is by the Koss KSC-75. It's really great according to my taste. However you are not very isolated from your environment. You will disturb people next to you if volume is not pretty low. And if it's low, you will be disturbed by them.

The Creative EP-630 canal phones are very good too. Bass is impressive. You get the advantages and disadvantages of being totally isolated. You always feel the phones tightly touching your ear canal. It doesn't hurt but it's not too comfortable after a while. After a while I also don't like the feeling of being totally isolated.

So my judgment is
- Sennheiser MX400 are great for universal usage
- Koss KSC-75 are the best for using in a non-noisy environment
- Creative EP-630 are best for using in a noisy environment where perfect isolation is a bonus.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #72
I have a pair of MX550s and a pair of EX-71s. I got fed up with the EX-71s for two reasons:

1. I've gone through four pairs within a year, same fault every time, the left channel goes very quiet. I have two friends who have had exactly the same experience with them. Even if it is ear wax causing the problem as someone mentioned earlier, that's pretty poor design and not something I've ever encountered with headphones before.
2. They're not very sensitive, so if you're using them on a DAP with limited volume output (I was using an European Hi-MD player), they won't play loud enough.

The MX550s on the other hand I didn't like in comparison to the EX-71s when I first bought them except for the fact that I could get them to go a lot louder, but after living with them for a while and then going back to the EX-71's I realise how bad the sibilance is on the Sonys and how overblown the bass is. The 550s are altogether more enjoyable musically.

If only you could mix the best qualities of the two: The sensitivity, neutral sound quality and robustness of the Sennheisers and the comfort and excellent external noise blocking qualities of the Sonys.

Reply #73
Not terribly pleasant but I've found that when volume/high frequencies seem reduced, a quick clean with a cotton bud and isopropyl alcohol shifts the unwanted matter from my EP-630's very well.

Reply #74
I've had a pair of mx-500s for the last year, and they've served me quite faithfully.  One month ago the volume control fell apart, though...

I like having a volume control, but the end result of the story is that I've just put in an order for some mx-400s