Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Media Player Classic no sound as user (Read 4151 times) previous topic - next topic

Media Player Classic no sound as user

I have Real Alternative and Media Player Classic installed on an XP Pro system. When I click a .ram file, whether a link on the net or a file on my pc, it duly pops up, does its thing, buffers etc. and I can see it plays the file as the timer ticks along, but I get no sound. For lack of any other idea, I tried the same files logged in as an admin, and lo & behold I get sound.    I then opened the program properties and gave common users every possible right, but it didn't help. What can I do - any ideas?

Thanks - Hendrik

Media Player Classic no sound as user

Reply #1

XP systems have many "features" which i would call bugs.

One of these is the fact, that file assignments performed by an user (even with administrator privileges!) do not necessarily take effect for others. So look into the registry, if key and entries for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ram
are identical for the admin respectively your user account.

The second possible reason i have extempore: RealNetworks introduced a proprietary protocol for audiostreams. Though this is not a low-lewel network protocol, there is the possibility that one of the paranoid security settings may prevent normal users from playing such files.
Because i never used any kind of Real stuff, i don't know much about Real Alternative, too. However, what i picked up in passing is that all third-party tools or players dont't use that protocol (probably for license issues) - with one eception: Real Alternative. So, if this is true, a security issue is not unlikely.