Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Filenames with feat. artist / ALAC vs. FLAC (Read 2574 times) previous topic - next topic

Filenames with feat. artist / ALAC vs. FLAC

First and foremost I'd just like to say that I have been browsing Hydrogen Audio for quite some time now and absolutely love it to bits though this is my first time on the site posting, so be nice <3

Okay so I've got a few questions, and I'm sorry if they have already been asked or if there's a thread that blatantly tells me the answers. Please just redirect me to such thread or simply inform me.

I only say this as I've come from forum sites filled with aggressive, pre-pubescent forum users who think they own the site.

Anyway...

1.) Is there a standardization and or is there a preferred way to name your audio files?

I ask of this generally because you'll see in your library you'll have a heap of Artist names that are the same, then every now and again it will say something like "Artist Name (Feat. Name)".
So I'm trying to make everything a little neater, though in the past from doing that I've broken song names and I'd just like something that's standard, or uniformed. Also iTunes generally handles artists by folder.
So if you have "Artist" and "Artist (Feat. Name)" there will be two folders, one for each.

Example 1: Benny Benassi - Cinema (Feat. Gary Go)
Example 2: Benny Benassi Feat. Gary Go - Cinema

Example 1: Blackmill Feat. Loz Contreras - Sarajevo (Blackmill Remix)
Example 2: Blackmill - Sarajevo (Feat. Loz Contreras) (Blackmill Remix)

2.) Audio File Types

For many upon many years I have used iTunes as my media library host. I love it's layout and the way it looks, so there's no way that I will be using any other program. The only thing I question, because it has no support for FLAC.All of the audio that I download/purchase is in the FLAC format, on occasion it might be in WAV. I've gone from converting FLAC into MP3, to AIFF and now my entire library is in ALAC form. I've spent a lot of time reading about different formats and the such, and this is what I've settled on. I'm just wondering, am I missing something? Should I be using a different format? The reason to my choice is that it is similar to FLAC, just without the Metadata, which iTunes handles anyway.

Reply #1
ALAC is lossless, so just fine as a file format. I was not aware that ALAC did not contain metadata. Probably it does, but iTunes relies instead on its database so you don't generally see the metadata.

However, I would think very seriously about using a secure ripper instead of iTunes to rip your CDs. You can then save the files in ALAC and have iTunes add them to its library.

Reply #2
1.) Is there a standardization and or is there a preferred way to name your audio files?

No, there is no standard beyond the preferences of individual users, or occasionally hard-coded schemes such as that of iTunes.

This question frequently generates voluminous discussions here about personal preferences and rationales for differing schemes, so you will probably benefit from searching for those.

The reason [for] my choice [of ALAC] is that it is similar to FLAC, just without the Metadata, which iTunes handles anyway.
Do you think ALAC doesn’t support metadata or uses something that only iTunes can read? Neither is true.

Reply #3
However, I would think very seriously about using a secure ripper instead of iTunes to rip your CDs. You can then save the files in ALAC and have iTunes add them to its library.

I don't generally RIP CD's, though if I do I use iTunes and AIFF. I'll have a look into using something like that though.

Cheers for the information guys.