Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SACD-player digital spdif output (Read 3814 times) previous topic - next topic

SACD-player digital spdif output

http://www.dvdupgrades.ch/product/Modifica...oard/24308.html

Apparently they are tapping into the (I2S?) digital databus prior to D/A conversion, but after decryption. This should be quite straightforward for DVD-A (excluding the amount of labour for implementing a simple algorithm into real-time hardware in a cost-efficient manner), but for SACD the conversion to 88 and 176MHz PCM must be somewhat more demanding? Anyone done the theoretical work on how to do this conversion? What kind of losses are inherent?

Has this been discussed allready? I am aware that the real benefit of SACD is a matter of debate, but on a geek-level, I think it is interesting that all use-limiting barriers are removed :-)

regards
Knut

Reply #1
I'm not sure what you're asking. Maybe this is of help:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=37717

Do you think it's possible to access the DSD data before it gets downsampled and want to know what you can do with the DSD data or are you asking about how downsampling affects quality?

Reply #2
Hi

As far as I know that works for SACD and DVD-A:
http://www.speakrs.ch/Lautsprecher_DVD-Audio.htm

The primary reason for the developement of those cards, was to realize a completely digital chain:
http://www.speakrs.ch/Lautsprecher_Technologie.htm

The person who developed it, is the swiss guy Roger Schulthess. Before that he worked for Studer professional audio and developed professinal monitors e.g. A823. His own speakers called "Campana" are DSP-speakers, witch need digital inputs. That is why this card has been developed, to be able to go directly from the digital source via digital room correction to the speakers.

As far as I know from one of his friends and of the developement of my speakers - I have speakers using the same DSP and amps, just other brand, other chassis and other case - the developement of those cards was very hard and took a long time.

DVDUpgrades is the shop who sells them. They also do modify DVD-Players.

Reply #3
Rather than pay for this, and assuming you have an HDMI 1.1 compliant receiver, a $160 Oppo 970HD DVD/universal player can pass DSD converted to PCM over its HDMI connection.  It can also pass DVD-A via HDMI and has internal HDCD decoding (analog passage only).  Some pretty nifty video output options too.

Reply #4
I wont pay for this, I am merely mentioning it.

The problem with HDMI out is that those are "protected". I would like adding my one SACD disc and 5 DVD-A discs to mye HTPC FLAC collection for convenient playback. Both for the heck of it, for analysing the audio and because it is convenient.

It is being claimed that the mixes for hirez formats are typically different than those for mass-market CD.

Seb:
Thanks for your knowledgeable input. Do you by any chance have the sourcecode of that DSD converter as matlab-code? (Im not that fluent in java...)

-k

Reply #5

The problem with HDMI out is that those are "protected". I would like adding my one SACD disc and 5 DVD-A discs to mye HTPC FLAC collection for convenient playback. Both for the heck of it, for analysing the audio and because it is convenient.

It is being claimed that the mixes for hirez formats are typically different than those for mass-market CD.

Seb:
Thanks for your knowledgeable input. Do you by any chance have the sourcecode of that DSD converter as matlab-code? (Im not that fluent in java...)

-k

It looks like its just a simple decimate from 2.8MHz to 88.2kHz w/ lowpass filtering.  You could probably implement it yourself in a couple lines of matlab code using it's built in filter command.

Reply #6

Ah.  Yes, that would be interesting.  I do it currently by re-digitizing the analog output of such sources. 

Only the surround mixes.  The two-channel mixes are practically always the same as the original mixes. They may be *remasters* -- and thus may have different EQ, levels, compression, noise reduction --  but they not remixes.  (And in some cases the SACD may simply be a transcode of the PCM version to DSD, with no re-EQ, or vice versa)