Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Re-encoding older FLAC 1.2 flies in 1.3.1 (Read 2554 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-encoding older FLAC 1.2 flies in 1.3.1

Is there anything to be gained by re-encoding my older FLACs that are encoded in 1.2 to 1.3.1?

Re: Re-encoding older FLAC 1.2 flies in 1.3.1

Reply #1
I've seen an average 2-3% decrease in file size for --best.  Beyond that, most of the work done on flac lately has been bugfixes, portability, and modernization, so it doesn't translate to a very different experience for the typical end user.

Reply #2
Agree with previous post. Not too much "visible gain", but on the other hand, if you have spare time, the conversion if done properly will do no harm :)

Reply #4
Well, all I really need to do is to throw all my files in foobar2000, select all, choose convert, and go to bed.  I should wake up in the morning with a new folder full of FLAC 1.3.1 files.  So, if there's no harm, and no real time wasted (since I can do it overnight), I think a cleanup might be in order, once I get all my tags cleaned up with Musicbrainz Picard.

Reply #5
If they are stored on reliable drive or backed up, it can be done. For safety I would try on small folder first and disable the parallel processing settings in foobar (then doing the conversion one after another).

Reply #6
Yeah, they're backed up to the another drive and the cloud.

Reply #7
If you have backup, then I would try on small number of folders and if it works on it can be run further. The benefits are very subtle (if any for regular user), but you will get your music stored in 1.3.1 encoder process.

flac abc.flac --force command can be used.