Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Digital Clipping Restoration (Read 5644 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital Clipping Restoration

What is the best system to restore a piece of digital audio that has been lightly, but audibly clipped?  As you can see from the picture, it's not terrible but it certainly sounds 'raspy' in places.
I don't mind spending some money on a VST or other tool - my work gets me very good deals on this kind of thing (hopefully).
I checked the Waves website but they have nothing, I looked at Voxengo (AMAZING stuff - can't recommend them enough) but they also have nothing.
I use Sound Forge 8 and I hear people talking about a 'Noise Reduction' plug-in that works well - but either I can't find it or don't have it.
I need the best results possible, so money and time are not really a concern as I will be dealing with these problems frequently as I deal with amateur audio :-(

Tony

Reply #1
Have a look at Adobe Audition. It has such a feature.

edit: Adobe offers 30-day-trial versions so you can give it a test ride...

Reply #2
What is the best system to restore a piece of digital audio that has been lightly, but audibly clipped?
I need the best results possible, so money and time are not really a concern as I will be dealing with these problems frequently as I deal with amateur audio :-(
Amongst the best systems are:
CEDAR Declip
Algorithmics ScratchFree

Reply #3
Since you're already using SoundForge, Sony's Noise Reduction 2 plugin for SoundForge includes a Clipped Peak Restoration DirectX plugin that is supposed to do what you are looking for. I just checked it out for the first time a few days ago and haven't done any evaluation of it yet, so I'm not giving it a recommendation, just letting you know it's available. I would think you might have some success with it if you only have a relatively light clipping. Heavy clipping like a lot of recent CD releases have (Stadium Arcadium comes to mind) is pretty much hopeless. Here's a link to the plugin with more info: http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/...duct.asp?PID=14

If money's not an issue, you should probably also check out the Clip Restoration effect in Adobe Audition as cheerow suggested. The Adobe site has a demo of Audition 2.0 available for download.

I'd like to hear what you think about the Sony plugin and Audition's effect after you've tried them out. Good luck!

Reply #4
Ok, CEDAR is Pro Tools only, so I can't use that (escaped Digidesign years ago).  Scratchfree looks interesting, I'll see if I can try that soon.
Adobe Audition 2.0s Clip Restoration is pretty poor.  It does visually repair transients but it doesn't have much affect on the sound - if any...
Keep the suggestions coming and I can post back and let you know who I got on.  I'll write a little something about ScratchFree as soon as I get a go.
I think the amount of clipping I am dealing with should be reasonably easy to repair/mask