Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What are the benefits of DAC's audio output upsampling? (Read 4421 times) previous topic - next topic

What are the benefits of DAC's audio output upsampling?

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus (a DAC unit) says that it upsamples the audio output fixed at 24bit/384kHz.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-plus
(Check the "Tech Specs" button on the webpage)

As I could understand, for example if we play a CD rip (16bit/44kHz) and send the digital audio to this DAC, before it converts the audio to analog, it will upsample the 16/44 data to 24/384. Is it true?

If so, what is the benefits of this kind operation?

Thank you.

Mod edit: subject verb agreement in title “what’s” changed to “what are”. I’m growing increasingly tired of cringing at these things. One of these days I’ll learn not to judge someone’s intelligence based on his ability to use language properly.

Re: What's the benefits of DAC's audio output upsampling?

Reply #1
Do you think you magically get high-resolution images and high-resolution audio if you copy a VHS tape to Blu-Ray?  (You do end-up with a high-resolution format.)  

Reply #2
@DVDdoug, I also think the same, I mean upsampling audio won't improve the sound in my opinion - but I couldn't understand why they do that?

Reply #3
The output of the DAC must go through an analog filter, and increasing the sampling frequency makes the filter simpler and cheaper.

Reply #4
The output of the DAC must go through an analog filter, and increasing the sampling frequency makes the filter simpler and cheaper
But delta-sigma DACs convert signal to 1 bit with multi MHz frequency anyway.

Also, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus uses WM8740, which by datasheet supports maximum 192 kHz.

Reply #5
As I could understand, for example if we play a CD rip (16bit/44kHz) and send the digital audio to this DAC, before it converts the audio to analog, it will upsample the 16/44 data to 24/384. Is it true?

Almost certainly.  Almost all devices do this.  384 KHz is actually very low.  MHz is common. 

If so, what is the benefits of this kind operation?

Cheaper/better:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling#Oversampling_in_reconstruction

Reply #6
Also, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus uses WM8740, which by datasheet supports maximum 192 kHz.

The WM8740 is a high performance 128fs oversampling rate stereo DAC

Since it uses 128x oversampling, a 48 KHz input will be resampled to 6.144 MHz for playback. 

Reply #7
@DVDdoug, I also think the same, I mean upsampling audio won't improve the sound in my opinion - but I couldn't understand why they do that?

It's just a scam. Audiophiles will believe anything.